As a U.S. Navy SEAL, Kristin Beck experienced things most people never will.
Even though she's no longer in the military, that trend continues.
CNN reports that Beck has recently come out as transgender, and according to the report, she has known she's been trapped in the wrong body since grade school.
"I fought for 20 years for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I want some happiness," Beck said on AC 360 on Thursday night. "I want my life."
Beck's book, "Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy SEAL's Journey to Coming Out Transgender," details her experiences in the military as well as the issues of being transgender.
Beck, then known as Chris, was deployed 13 times in her career, serving in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq. She earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for her service.
Beck spoke about the reaction she received after revealing her secret.
"There's a lot of prejudice out there," she told CNN. "There's been a lot of transgender people who are killed for prejudice, for hatred. When the book came out — some amazing support and some amazing praises — but also some pretty amazing bigotry and hatred."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 7, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened and links were added on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10