As a U.S. Navy SEAL, Kristin Beck experienced things most people never will.
Even though she's no longer in the military, that trend continues.
CNN reports that Beck has recently come out as transgender, and according to the report, she has known she's been trapped in the wrong body since grade school.
"I fought for 20 years for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I want some happiness," Beck said on AC 360 on Thursday night. "I want my life."
Beck's book, "Warrior Princess: A U.S. Navy SEAL's Journey to Coming Out Transgender," details her experiences in the military as well as the issues of being transgender.
Beck, then known as Chris, was deployed 13 times in her career, serving in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq. She earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart for her service.
Beck spoke about the reaction she received after revealing her secret.
"There's a lot of prejudice out there," she told CNN. "There's been a lot of transgender people who are killed for prejudice, for hatred. When the book came out — some amazing support and some amazing praises — but also some pretty amazing bigotry and hatred."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 7, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened and links were added on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Female wolf travels hundreds of miles to...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage vow not...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 26
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 17
- Gay marriage issue squarely before high... 15
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14