BYU baseball: Jacob Hannemann picked in third round of MLB draft by Chicago Cubs
PROVO — BYU's Jacob Hannemann was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the third round of the MLB draft Friday morning, exceeding most projections.
Hannemann is a two-sport athlete who was mulling the decision to play football for the Cougars this coming fall or to begin playing baseball professionally. Considering how high he has been picked (75th overall), many now assume he'll forgo playing football to pursue a professional baseball career.
Hannemann hails from Lone Peak High School and signed with the BYU football program in 2010 before leaving on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Little Rock, Ark. Upon returning he starred for the BYU baseball team this spring, earning West Coast Conference Freshman of the Year honors.
- Warriors cap greatest Finals collapse with...
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 22