BYU baseball: Jacob Hannemann picked in third round of MLB draft by Chicago Cubs
PROVO — BYU's Jacob Hannemann was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the third round of the MLB draft Friday morning, exceeding most projections.
Hannemann is a two-sport athlete who was mulling the decision to play football for the Cougars this coming fall or to begin playing baseball professionally. Considering how high he has been picked (75th overall), many now assume he'll forgo playing football to pursue a professional baseball career.
Hannemann hails from Lone Peak High School and signed with the BYU football program in 2010 before leaving on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Little Rock, Ark. Upon returning he starred for the BYU baseball team this spring, earning West Coast Conference Freshman of the Year honors.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24