Rodrique Ngowi, AP
Two men pictured on the cover of the New York Post three days after the Boston Marathon bombing are suing the sensational tabloid for claiming federal officials were seeking them in connection with the bombing.
CNN's Marina Carver reports Salaheddin Barhoum, 16, and Yassine Zaimi, 24, filed court papers on Wednesday in response to the Post publishing stories and pictures claiming they were being pursued by police in connection with the April tragedy.
"The New York Post accused our clients of being the men with the bombs in their bags, and that is libel," said C. William Barrett, Zaimi's lawyer, at a press conference on Wednesday.
The April 18 cover of the Post pictured the two men near the finish line of the Marathon, with the captions "Bag Men" and "Feds seek this duo pictured at Boston Marathon."
In the picture, one man is wearing a hat and a backpack, while the other is wearing a gym bag over his shoulder.
However, Boston police were not looking for either Barhoum or Zaimi. Authorities released photos of the suspected bombers, Dzhokar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, later that night.
According to the suit filed in Suffolk Superior Court, "The front page would lead a reasonable reader to believe that plaintiffs had bombs in their bags, that they were involved in causing the Boston Marathon bombing."
Carver reports the two men are suing the Post for libel, negligent infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy. They're are also seeking monetary damages.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 7, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- Ukraine accuses Russia of sending in tanks,...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 30
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13