Salt Lake Bees: Angels outfielder Peter Bourjos homers in rehab assignment with Bees
Alex Gallardo, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Peter Bourjos is on the fast track to recovery.
On rehab assignment with the Bees, Bourjos got the Salt Lake crowd out of their seats with a leadoff home run to start his team's game Thursday night against Fresno.
Bourjos finished the game 2 for 5 with three RBIs and two runs scored in the Bees' 15-13 loss.
"We could've buried them for the series," said Bees outfielder Kole Calhoun after his team gave up an 11-0 lead. "We could've had them on the ropes, and obviously we didn't come out on top so now we've got to come out (Friday) and get some momentum back."
Bourjos has been steadily progressing since sustaining a hamstring strain back on April 29 in Oakland. Before joining Salt Lake, Bourjos had a three-game stint with Single-A Inland Empire, where the 26 year old hit .273 with a triple, home run and two RBIs.
It will be a short stint in Salt Lake for Bourjos, who plans to play with the Bees through Saturday's game. His next stop will be the Angels active roster, most likely Monday when the Halos travel to Baltimore.
NOTEBOOK: In his 10th start for the Bees, Billy Buckner went just over six innings during Thursday night's loss. Buckner gave up eight runs on seven hits, including two homers, while striking out six Fresno batters.
NAVARRO ON FIRE: Bees first baseman Efren Navarro tied a franchise record Thursday night, smacking four doubles for Salt Lake. "I felt good at the plate today, and seeing the ball well, so I will continue to do that," said Navarro. Navarro finished the game 4 for 5 with four RBIs and two runs scored.
WELCOME BACK, DANE: The Angels also optioned right-handed reliever Dane De La Rosa to Salt Lake on Thursday. De La Rosa began the 2013 season with the Bees, pitching two scoreless innings in two games with one save. De La Rosa has appeared in 27 games of relief for the Angels, owning a 1-1 record with a 4.05 ERA and 23 strikeouts.
ATTENDANCE: A crowd of 7,084 made it out to the ballpark Thursday night.
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20