Utah Jazz: Former Ute Jason Washburn participates in Jazz pre-draft workout
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz brought in six more players Thursday for pre-draft workouts, including former University of Utah center Jason Washburn, a last-minute substitution for a player delayed coming in.
Washburn was scheduled to work out with Friday’s group at the Zions Bank Basketball Center, but he replaced Notre Dame forward Jack Cooley, who had flight problems Wednesday night.
“It went really well,’’ said Washburn. “It gave me a lot to evaluate my game. It showed me I’m in pretty good shape. Overall it was a really great experience.’’
Jazz head scout Walt Perrin praised Washburn’s effort at the workout.
“He didn’t back down. He was physical, played hard, listened to the coaches and gave it his all once he got on the court,’’ Perrin said.
Other players who worked out Thursday included Vander Blue, a 6-4 forward from Marquette; Pierre Jackson, a 5-10 guard from Baylor; Trevor Mbakwe, a 6-8 forward from Minnesota; Solomon Hill, a 6-7 forward from Arizona; and Glen Rice Jr., a 6-6 guard from Georgia Tech, who played for Rio Grande Valley in the D-League last year.
“All six guys all played hard and showcased their skills,’’ Perrin said. “We had a very spirited practice and the guys all played really hard. It got real physical, which was fine at times.’’
The players for Friday’s workout will be announced late Thursday afternoon, but one of the known players is Cooley, who flip-flopped with Washburn. It turns out both players have the same agent, so the switch worked out well with Washburn still living in Salt Lake City.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29