PROVO, Utah — BYU won the 2012-13 West Coast Conference Commissioner’s Cup, the conference announced Thursday, after collecting 78 points from athletic excellence during the season.
The WCC Commissioner's Cup is an all-sports award presented at the end of each academic year to the league's top performing school in conference play and is based on a point system, reflecting the finish of each team in conference play. The institution with the highest point total after combining the men's and women's point totals is honored with the Commissioner's Cup. This is the Cougars’ first season winning the award since entering the conference in 2011.
“It’s a great privilege for me to represent Brigham Young University in receiving this Commissioner’s Cup,” BYU President Cecil O. Samuelson said. “All of the credit goes to Tom [Holmoe], Janie [Penfield], the rest of their great staff and our terrific coaches and particularly the hundreds of outstanding young student-athletes who represent not only athletics but themselves and their families in a very positive way.”
BYU won the women’s division with 42 points, helped out by women’s soccer and women’s volleyball conference titles, and the men’s division with 36 points. It is the first time since the 2007-08 season that a school has won the overall, men’s and women’s trophies in the same year.
The Cougars edged out San Diego, which has won the cup each of the five previous years. The Toreros came in second in the competition with 74 points after a strong showing in the WCC baseball tournament. Saint Mary’s was third with 65.5 points.
The awards were handed out as part of the fourth annual WCC Honors Dinner, held Wednesday night at the Napa Valley (Calif.) Marriott.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 109
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20