PROVO, Utah — BYU won the 2012-13 West Coast Conference Commissioner’s Cup, the conference announced Thursday, after collecting 78 points from athletic excellence during the season.
The WCC Commissioner's Cup is an all-sports award presented at the end of each academic year to the league's top performing school in conference play and is based on a point system, reflecting the finish of each team in conference play. The institution with the highest point total after combining the men's and women's point totals is honored with the Commissioner's Cup. This is the Cougars’ first season winning the award since entering the conference in 2011.
“It’s a great privilege for me to represent Brigham Young University in receiving this Commissioner’s Cup,” BYU President Cecil O. Samuelson said. “All of the credit goes to Tom [Holmoe], Janie [Penfield], the rest of their great staff and our terrific coaches and particularly the hundreds of outstanding young student-athletes who represent not only athletics but themselves and their families in a very positive way.”
BYU won the women’s division with 42 points, helped out by women’s soccer and women’s volleyball conference titles, and the men’s division with 36 points. It is the first time since the 2007-08 season that a school has won the overall, men’s and women’s trophies in the same year.
The Cougars edged out San Diego, which has won the cup each of the five previous years. The Toreros came in second in the competition with 74 points after a strong showing in the WCC baseball tournament. Saint Mary’s was third with 65.5 points.
The awards were handed out as part of the fourth annual WCC Honors Dinner, held Wednesday night at the Napa Valley (Calif.) Marriott.
Rachel Hawks is a sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 28
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25