Commentary: Would Bronco Mendenhall give himself an extension?
If coach Mendenhall feels those kinds of principles are important in order to maximize motivation for his players, how would administrator Mendenhall use them when offering a contract to a coach?
If Mendenhall were negotiating with himself, would he point out that, yes, his total winning percentage is 72 percent, but the last three years it’s been 64 percent. Would he point out that while the defense was truly elite, one national writer called the 2012 season “one big pile of frustration.” Would he say that it’s a little awkward to give a raise or promotion to the person who just fired his entire offensive staff?
If Mendenhall were negotiating with himself, would he give himself a raise, or would he ask that perhaps he consider reapplying for his own position, as he reportedly did to the offensive staff after the 2010 season, leading Robert Anae to leave for Arizona before returning in 2013.
If Mendenhall were negotiating with himself, how would he feel about the reported interviews taken by Colorado and UCLA? Some high school players have reportedly said taking trips to other schools after committing to BYU complicated recruiting with BYU.
All that said, I must add that I’ve often enjoyed watching Mendenhall’s team and support his efforts as head coach. I wrote last year, asking if Mendenhall is over or underrated, that “fans will sound somewhat ridiculous if they (someday) have to say, ‘Coach, we knew you got your team ranked 12, 14, 15, 21 and 25, but we never thought you'd make top 10.’ ”
I hope to see Mendenhall coaching at BYU for a long time. His tactics and principle-based leadership have led to success in many areas. In a regular college football situation, Mendenhall would probably have an extension already, but like so many things at BYU, it’s not a regular college football situation.
The person actually negotiating with Mendenhall, Tom Holmoe, said, “It will get done when it gets done. To put a timeline on it, that is not right.”
Greg Welch, a contributor on CougarBoard.com, has followed BYU sports from six different states and currently cheers from Iowa. Professionally, he works at an ad agency and can be found at @ArtDirectorBYU on Twitter.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 19