Rocker Jack White pays tax bill to save Detroit Masonic Temple
Darren Calabrese, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Although he didn't want anyone to know it was him, everyone now does.
The Detroit Free Press and CNN report former White Stripes frontman and Detroit native Jack White anoynomously donated $142,000 to the Detroit Masonic Temple to cover the hefty tax bill levied against it.
According to CNN's local affiliate WXYX, the church was facing foreclosure when an unknown donor stepped in to pay the bill.
On Tuesday, Masonic Temple officials revealed in a statement that White was the donor who helped save the building, and as a result the Temple's Cathedral Theater will be re-named the Jack White Theater.
"We could not be more humbled to bestow this honor upon Jack," the president of the Detroit Masonic Temple Association, Roger Sobran, said in a statement. "Jack’s donation could not have come at a better time and we are eternally grateful to him for it. Jack’s magnanimous generosity and unflinching loyalty to this historic building and his Detroit roots is appreciated beyond words."
The statement also said White's mother worked there as an usher when the musician was growing up.
Rolling Stone reports White was the suspected secret donor of $170,000 in 2009 to repair a baseball field where he used to play.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 6, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013 to link to original source material.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- Jodi Arias sentencing retrial opens in Arizona
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Fire exposes illegal Chinese factories in Italy
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8