EUGENE, Ore. — The 2013 season came to an end for BYU women’s track and field Wednesday as Natalie Stewart and Kelsey Brown competed in the NCAA Championships.
Stewart, a senior from Spanish Fork, Utah, ran in the 400-meter preliminary and took eighth in her heat with a time of 53.84. The top two from each heat plus the next best two overall advanced to the final.
"We were hoping Natalie could go after her lifetime best and the school record in the 400 but she just felt a little tight," BYU coach Patrick Shane said. "She went and ran her heart out and she ran a solid race. Natalie was in there with some great competition and represented very well. I’m proud of her."
Brown, a junior from Orem, Utah, took fourth in the second 800-meter heat with a time of 2:04.36. With one heat to go, Brown was in position to qualify but the third-place runner in the final heat edged her time by 0.16 of a second to take the eighth spot in the final. Brown finished ninth overall.
"That was tough on her to be the odd one out but she ran a smooth and even race," Shane said. "She was in a very competitive heat and was in second coming down the home stretch but she got caught at the tape. Kelsey ran her heart out and laid it on the line. She gained a lot of valuable experience that will help her next year when she’s a senior."
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016 football...
- College football countdown No. 45: Harvey Unga
- BYU quarterback Taysom Hill explains why he's...
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12...
- Young cancer patient gives former Cougar Kyle...
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: Projecting the 2016... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 62
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 58
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 45