LDS seminary teacher charged with burglary, theft of prescription drugs
ROOSEVELT — A man responsible for teaching religious education classes to LDS high school students is facing criminal charges after investigators say he burglarized a home on a Sunday afternoon to steal prescription painkillers.
Brian Dean Thacker was charged Wednesday in 8th District Court with burglary, a second-degree felony, theft, a class B misdemeanor, and possession of a controlled substance, a class B misdemeanor.
On May 26, Thacker entered a home about 2 p.m. and took Lortab from a medicine cabinet, according to Duchesne County sheriff's detective Dela Rowley.
A woman was upstairs in the home at the time and heard Thacker moving around downstairs, Rowley said. She waited until Thacker left and then looked out the window and recognized him, the detective said.
Thacker, 42, was interviewed after the incident was reported to the sheriff's office. He corroborated the woman's account of what happened and admitted to taking Lortab from the home, Rowley said.
Thacker served as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints seminary teacher for Union High School during the 2012-13 academic year. Prior to that, he was the seminary teacher for LDS students at Altamont High School.
"The church expects the highest level of conduct from its seminary teachers," LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd said. "Brian Thacker is on administrative leave."
So far investigators do not believe Thacker was using prescription painkillers while teaching seminary classes or soliciting medication from his students, Rowley said.
Thacker has entered an inpatient drug treatment program. His first court appearance is set for June 27.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23