First lady Michelle Obama confronts heckler at fundraising event
Evan Vucci, Associated Press
First lady Michelle Obama confronted a heckler on Tuesday night and threatened to leave the fundraising event if the woman didn't stop interrupting her speech.
"One of the things I don't do well is this," the first lady said in response to the shouting. According to a pool report from a reporter who attended, Obama then left the lectern, moved toward the protester and said the person could either "listen to me or you can take the mic, but I'm leaving."
The New York Times reports that Obama was 12 minutes into her 20-minute speech when a woman "at the front of a crowd of about 200 people began shouting for President Obama to issue an executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating against employees based on sexual orientation or gender identity."
The crowd yelled for Obama to stay. The heckler was then escorted out of the event.
The Times reports that GetEqual co-director Heather Cronk identified the heckler as one of its activists, Ellen Sturtz.
In an interview with The Washington Post, Sturtz said she was surprised by the first lady's response to her yelling.
"She came right down in my face," Sturtz told The Post. "I was taken aback."
The Times also reports as Sturtz was escorted out, she shouted some more, at one point describing herself as a "lesbian looking for federal equality before I die."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 5, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013 to link to original source material.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the world's...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Extreme education makeover: Are the...
- John Nash, the mathematician who inspired 'A...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting deaths...
- Veterans frustrated by presidential debate on...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 168
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 28
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Ireland has voted to legalize gay... 16
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Ohio patrolman acquitted in shooting... 13