First lady Michelle Obama confronts heckler at fundraising event
Evan Vucci, Associated Press
First lady Michelle Obama confronted a heckler on Tuesday night and threatened to leave the fundraising event if the woman didn't stop interrupting her speech.
"One of the things I don't do well is this," the first lady said in response to the shouting. According to a pool report from a reporter who attended, Obama then left the lectern, moved toward the protester and said the person could either "listen to me or you can take the mic, but I'm leaving."
The New York Times reports that Obama was 12 minutes into her 20-minute speech when a woman "at the front of a crowd of about 200 people began shouting for President Obama to issue an executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating against employees based on sexual orientation or gender identity."
The crowd yelled for Obama to stay. The heckler was then escorted out of the event.
The Times reports that GetEqual co-director Heather Cronk identified the heckler as one of its activists, Ellen Sturtz.
In an interview with The Washington Post, Sturtz said she was surprised by the first lady's response to her yelling.
"She came right down in my face," Sturtz told The Post. "I was taken aback."
The Times also reports as Sturtz was escorted out, she shouted some more, at one point describing herself as a "lesbian looking for federal equality before I die."
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 5, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013 to link to original source material.
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- Our six heroes of 2014
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa's journey across globe
- Capacity crowds pack screenings of 'The...
- Ex-President George H.W. Bush to stay...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 8
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6