Images of world sport: 'You've got room' the theme for Tuesday's top shots
Elise Amendola, AP
Baseball players hear it all the time. "You've got room." Sometimes, though, when safe space has disappeared but the play can still be made, athletes go for it anyway.
Such fearless/reckless abandon was widespread and caught on camera Tuesday, as multiple sports saw athletes stretched to their figurative and the field's literal limits, respectively.
Some were successful. Others weren't. Among the most spectacular of the latter, all of which can be viewed in the attached photo gallery above, are the following:
— Give it up for Texas Rangers right fielder Nelson Cruz, who was captured at the end of a head-over-heels catch attempt on what ended up being a home run. "A" for effort, to say the least.
— Ditto for Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman. His attempt to field a foul ball was successful, and it resulted in an unintentional interaction with the fans who, hopefully, were aware of the danger that comes with front-row tickets.
— Finally, summer's just getting started, but that didn't stop Saints wide receiver Courtney Roby from playing like it's December. Training camp? Maybe for the team trainers, who surely checked in on Roby after his full-on collision with a field barrier after snagging a pass on the run.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23