Leonard said Schmidt has done research on the spirituality movement in America and will present findings that have not yet been published. Schmidt will present his findings in a session titled, "Mormons, Freethinkers and the Limits of Toleration."
Because the majority of the membership is LDS, Leonard said the conference is held in Utah every other year to accommodate members.
"It's costly for people to come," he said.
And while most members reside in Utah, southern Idaho and northern Arizona, the MHA has held conferences internationally in England, Denmark and Canada.
Leadership for the association is served in a three-way split between past president, president and president-elect, each of whom serves for a one-year term.
The president-elect is charged with the task of planning the conference for the coming year. The current president oversees his plans for the conference during his term.
Emmilie Buchanan is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: emmiliebuchanan
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- Which bible do Americans read most?
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 116
- British judge hears arguments in case... 42
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,... 19
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to... 17