Crews searching for missing BYU student on Y Mountain
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Search and rescue crews were looking Tuesday for a 20-year-old BYU student who went hiking near Y Mountain on Saturday and hasn't been heard from since.
The man, from Colorado, left his home to go hiking alone about 11:30 a.m., said Provo City Fire Capt. Dean York.
"It was a planned day hike to above the Y, the Eagle Pass area," York said, adding that the man had water with him.
The man was scheduled to return Saturday night and attend a meeting Sunday. His family called to report him missing on Tuesday, York said. He did not know why they waited until Tuesday to call authorities.
York did not know if the man's car had been located at the trailhead parking lot. He said the missing man did have a cellphone.
A helicopter dropped several search crews off near the top of the trail to work their way down trail, while other searchers began hiking from the bottom.
Tuesday's search ended at sundown, with plans to resume Wednesday morning.
— Pat Reavy
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 53
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 29
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12