Crews searching for missing BYU student on Y Mountain
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Search and rescue crews were looking Tuesday for a 20-year-old BYU student who went hiking near Y Mountain on Saturday and hasn't been heard from since.
The man, from Colorado, left his home to go hiking alone about 11:30 a.m., said Provo City Fire Capt. Dean York.
"It was a planned day hike to above the Y, the Eagle Pass area," York said, adding that the man had water with him.
The man was scheduled to return Saturday night and attend a meeting Sunday. His family called to report him missing on Tuesday, York said. He did not know why they waited until Tuesday to call authorities.
York did not know if the man's car had been located at the trailhead parking lot. He said the missing man did have a cellphone.
A helicopter dropped several search crews off near the top of the trail to work their way down trail, while other searchers began hiking from the bottom.
Tuesday's search ended at sundown, with plans to resume Wednesday morning.
— Pat Reavy
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26