Crews searching for missing BYU student on Y Mountain
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PROVO — Search and rescue crews were looking Tuesday for a 20-year-old BYU student who went hiking near Y Mountain on Saturday and hasn't been heard from since.
The man, from Colorado, left his home to go hiking alone about 11:30 a.m., said Provo City Fire Capt. Dean York.
"It was a planned day hike to above the Y, the Eagle Pass area," York said, adding that the man had water with him.
The man was scheduled to return Saturday night and attend a meeting Sunday. His family called to report him missing on Tuesday, York said. He did not know why they waited until Tuesday to call authorities.
York did not know if the man's car had been located at the trailhead parking lot. He said the missing man did have a cellphone.
A helicopter dropped several search crews off near the top of the trail to work their way down trail, while other searchers began hiking from the bottom.
Tuesday's search ended at sundown, with plans to resume Wednesday morning.
— Pat Reavy
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- New prison site not expected to be named...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 48
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 30
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 21
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18