Texas man dies after being stung more than 1,000 times by Africanized bees
CNN's Alan Duke reports that a Texas man died on Saturday after a swarm of Africanized bees attacked and stung him more than 1,000 times.
The bees were living in an old chicken coop on the land of the victim, 62-year-old Larry Goodwin. Goodwin was trying to clear the coop off his property with his tractor when the bees were disturbed by the machine, according to his neighbor John Puckett.
"He lifted the whole hive and disturbed them all, and they just came swarming out of there and trapped him on his tractor," Puckett told CNN.
"When we got to him, he was purple. He had thousands and thousands of bee stings on his face and arms," his daughter, Tanya Goodwin, told CNN.
Africanized honey bees, known more commonly as "killer bees," are believed to have entered Texas in 1990 and have since spread to at least 10 other states.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on June 4, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened and links were added on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- Coloring books offer adults something they...
- 'Music and the Spoken Word': When Christmas...
- More young women are living at home now than...
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 5
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares... 2
- 6 things to help you cope with the end... 2
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of... 2
- Hundreds gather in Cuba in frustration... 1
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 1
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1