Images of world sport: Elimination the theme for Monday's best photos
Jeff Roberson, AP
"Win or go home" was very real Monday night. So was, "You're outta here." In both cases, teams and players saw their respective ends come sooner than hoped.
The Indiana Pacers' much-admired Eastern Conference finals clash with the favored Heat ended in a not-so-climactic Game 7, a 99-76 stink bomb that saw Roy Hibbert reduced to panicking in double teams and Paul George shackled by LeBron James, the runner-up for Defensive Player of the Year.
Meanwhile, the men's and women's College World Series saw more teams eliminated, with plenty of emotion — both joyful and tearful — visible and caught on camera after the various outcomes.
A more infamous elimination occurred in one of the college baseball games, when a blooper-worthy collision between Oregon outfielders and a second baseman led to a botched fly ball.
While that incident likely only hurt the college players' pride, Cleveland Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera suffered physical pain after straining his right quadriceps. For Clevelanders who put stock in bad omens — and a lot of them do — it wasn't the best sign or sight in the first of a nine-game road swing.
Finally, Yadier Molina of the St. Louis Cardinals saw elimination come in the third inning of his team's game, courtesy of an umpire's decision after Molina ... well, he basically lost it.
Just check the photo.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 26