USU track: Chari Hawkins named Mountain Region Women’s Field Athlete of the Year
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State women’s track and field athlete Chari Hawkins has been named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Mountain Region Women’s Field Athlete of the Year, it was announced Monday. Hawkins was one of nine female field athletes from across the country to be honored.
Hawkins, a sophomore from Rexburg, Idaho (Madison HS), is the first USU track and field athlete to earn Mountain Region Athlete of the Year honors from the USTFCCCA.
Hawkins qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Finals in the high jump after finishing tied for third in the event at the first round of the NCAA Outdoor Championships with a mark of 1.79m (5-10.50), a height that ranks tied for second all-time in school history.
Hawkins, who will also compete in the heptathlon at the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Finals, set the school record for the women's high jump with a winning mark of 1.81m (5-11.25) during a portion of the heptathlon at the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
In all, Hawkins garnered three second-team all-WAC honors during the outdoor season, as she placed fifth in the heptathlon (4,990 points), sixth in 100m hurdles (14.08) and tied for sixth in the regular high jump section with a height of 1.67m (5-05.75) at the 2013 WAC Outdoor Championships.
During the 2013 outdoor season, Hawkins set the school record in the heptathlon, scoring 5,441 points at the California Invitational and Mt. SAC Relays Combined Events.
The 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Finals will be held in Eugene, Ore., from June 5-8. The meet will be broadcast on ESPNU and online on ESPN3 throughout the weekend beginning Thursday.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35