DRAPER — Col. Val L. Peterson, commander of the Utah National Guard’s Land Component Command, was promoted to brigadier general in an official ceremony Saturday.
Peterson assumed his current post in October 2012. He is responsible for oversight of the six Utah Army National Guard major commands to include engineers, special forces, aviation, artillery, military intelligence and troop command units.
In his 29-year military career he has served as a company commander, battalion commander and brigade commander.
An Orem resident, Peterson is full-time vice president for finance and administration at Utah Valley University. He is also a member of the Utah House of Representatives, District 59.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23