Utah's top gun lobbyist faces misdemeanor charges following alleged dispute
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
HOLLADAY — The state's top gun spokesman is facing misdemeanor charges following an alleged Memorial Day dispute with his ex-wife.
The allegations against Clark Aposhian now include domestic violence in the presence a child, in addition to charges for criminal trespass, criminal mischief and threats of violence. All four charges filed Friday in Holladay Justice Court are class B misdemeanors.
Aposhian is the top gun lobbyist in Utah, regularly participates in public debates addressing firearms and self defense and is a certified concealed carry instructor.
He was arrested and booked into Salt Lake County Jail on Monday after police said he drove his "deuce and a half" military surplus truck to the neighborhood where he used to live and backed the vehicle into his ex-wife's driveway before leaving, according to a probable cause statement released earlier this week.
Aposhian's 11-year-old daughter told police she was worried her father was going to crash into the other cars in his big truck, the report states.
Police were called and were waiting at the house when Aposhian returned in a Dodge Magnum. He returned after the woman's husband called to tell him not to come onto the property, and Aposhian allegedly threatened the man, according to the report.
Because of an ongoing custody dispute between Aposhian and the woman, she told police she considered the behavior to be harassment, the report states.
Mitch Vilos, an author and attorney primarily experienced in representing self defense and firearms cases, is representing Aposhian in the matter. Vilos said the incident had been exaggerated and Aposhian was in the neighborhood to visit friends.
Vilos said residents who live in the neighborhood and a friend who was accompanying Aposhian have corroborated his story, reporting that Aposhian had no intention of causing problems with his ex-wife and did not threaten the woman's husband.
An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for June 4.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13