TOOELE — At least one and possibly more employees of the Tooele County Sheriff's Office are under investigation.
But what the investigation is about remained unclear Friday.
Tooele County spokesman Wade Matthews said multiple agencies from the Salt Lake area were asked several weeks ago to look into "allegations within the sheriff's office."
"I don't know who brought forward that information. I know an email has been sent out. I don't know where that email came from," Matthews said.
He said the entire department is not under investigation. But he could not say which agencies are conducting the probe, who they are investigating or what brought the investigation about in the first place.
"We don't want to interfere with the investigation," he said. "Tooele County takes any kind of allegations seriously and is fully cooperating."
The Utah Attorney General's Office confirmed Friday that it is not involved. The FBI declined comment, neither confirming nor denying any involvement.
Matthews said he did not know when the investigations would be completed.
— Pat Reavy
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11