Difference between making, missing plays captured in sports photos of the week
Sometimes it simply comes down to an athlete's ability to make the play.
Take for instance two of this week's top 25 sports photos. Both shot at Major League Baseball games, the two tell an opposite story. One player caught the ball in spectacular fashion (he looks Velcroed to the wall, for Pete's sake).
The other guy? The ball's completely behind him. No really. Look.
Say what you want about professional athletes, but they're just as prone to completely missing as we are. The only difference is they move on to the next play. Us? Well, sometimes we cry about it, as did the two photographed and inconsolable fans after a German soccer game.
It's bouncing back that really matters. Just ask the pictured boxer who took one right in the snout. It's also something that LeBron James did in masterful fashion Thursday night in Game 5. Coming off a Game 4 loss that had the dreaded "soft" label being tossed around with Miami's name and cruel glee in the same breath, James responded — vehemently.
Speaking of vehement, the downpour that hit Rio Tinto Stadium this week could well have put a literal and figurative damper on the RSL faithful. Instead, many endured the downpour, along with their team.
Both parties were rewarded with a 3-2 win over Atlanta, proving that if nothing else, Real's fans are for real.
That's almost as corny as a team lifting its coach hero-style or being doused with a Gatorade tank.
Matt Petersen is the sports Web editor for deseretnews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33