UVU track: Wickhamshire named to Capital One Academic All-District Team
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University senior Stephen Wickhamshire has been named to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Track and Field/Cross-Country Team, the College Sports Information Directors of America announced Thursday. District 8 is represented by student-athletes from schools in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Wickhamshire, a political science major, holds a 3.99 cumulative GPA at UVU and is a two-time Great West Conference All-Academic Team member. On the track, the senior recently won the Great West Conference title in the decathlon. He also placed fourth in the pole vault (13-03.50), eighth in the discus (32.11m) and eighth in the shot put (11.89m) at the same meet.
During the indoor season, he also won the heptathlon at the GWC Championships with 4,114 points and placed fourth in the pole vault (12-09.50), sixth in the high jump (5-10.50), sixth in the shot put (11.88m) and sixth in the 60m hurdles (9.02) at the same meet.
The versatile UVU track and field athlete was one of just two student-athletes from the state of Utah to make the cut. Wickhamshire was joined on the District 8 squad by Oregon's Ben DeJarnette, Arizona State's Nick Happe, Seattle University's Erik Barkhaus, Santa Clara's Kevin Oliver, UC Davis' Trevor Halsted, UCLA's Michael Perry, Arizona State's Jordan Benesh, Arizona's Edgar Rivera-Morales, Arizona State's Garrett Baker-Slama, Washington's Jeremy Taiwo and Utah State's Kyle McKenna.
Wickhamshire is now eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America Team. The NCAA Division I team will be announced in June.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 93
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 77
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 53
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 39