Utah Jazz: Jeremy Evans set to participate in fourth Jr. Jazz tour next week
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — By the look of his upcoming itinerary, you might think Jeremy Evans was either running for a political office or just bored in the offseason.
Next week, the Utah Jazz forward will travel to 16 different spots in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, going everywhere from Morgan and Logan to Hanna, Wyo., Big Piney, Wyo., Soda Springs, Idaho, and Cokeville, Wyo.
Yep, it's Jr. Jazz tour time again.
This will be the fourth-consecutive year in which Evans, the 2012 Slam Dunk champ, has participated in the Jazz's youth clinics. The Jazz have two other weeks in their 29th-annual road trip tradition, with players, locales and dates yet to be announced.
In all, the Jr. Jazz program will put on 42 hourlong clinics for 2,000 youths while traveling more than 4,000 miles across the Intermountain West (including Nevada and Arizona).
“We are grateful to the many Jazz fans throughout the Intermountain Region and excited to show our appreciation by visiting these communities for Jr. Jazz basketball clinics,” Jazz president Randy Rigby said in a statement. “Our players genuinely enjoy the opportunity to interact with youth, helping them learn about teamwork, sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles through basketball.”
Evans, Derrick Favors and DeMarre Carroll conducted clinics last season, carrying on a tradition that both John Stockton and Karl Malone previously participated in. Notable Jr. Jazz athletes include NFLers Brady Poppinga, Paul Kruger, Kevin Curtis and Kevin Dyson; ex-NBA players Shawn Bradley and Travis Hansen; former American Idol finalist David Archuleta and Herriman little-league football superstar Sam Gordon.
Next week's Jr. Jazz tour schedule:
Monday: Morgan (10 a.m.), Evanston, Wyo. (1:30 p.m.); Soda Springs, Idaho (5 p.m.)
Tuesday: Kemmerer, Wyo. (10 a.m.), Green River, Wyo. (1 p.m.), Rock Springs, Wyo. (4 p.m.)
Wednesday: Hanna, Wyo. (10 a.m.), Rawlins, Wyo. (12:30 p.m.), Lander, Wyo. (4:30 p.m.)
Thursday: Big Piney, Wyo. (11 a.m.), Pinedale, Wyo. (1:30 p.m.)
Friday: Driggs, Idaho (11 a.m.), Shelley, Idaho (2:30 p.m.), Pocatello, Idaho (6 p.m.)
Saturday: Cokeville, Wyo. (11:30 a.m.), Logan (3:30 p.m.)
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 104
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 21