Utah Jazz: Jeremy Evans set to participate in fourth Jr. Jazz tour next week
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — By the look of his upcoming itinerary, you might think Jeremy Evans was either running for a political office or just bored in the offseason.
Next week, the Utah Jazz forward will travel to 16 different spots in Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, going everywhere from Morgan and Logan to Hanna, Wyo., Big Piney, Wyo., Soda Springs, Idaho, and Cokeville, Wyo.
Yep, it's Jr. Jazz tour time again.
This will be the fourth-consecutive year in which Evans, the 2012 Slam Dunk champ, has participated in the Jazz's youth clinics. The Jazz have two other weeks in their 29th-annual road trip tradition, with players, locales and dates yet to be announced.
In all, the Jr. Jazz program will put on 42 hourlong clinics for 2,000 youths while traveling more than 4,000 miles across the Intermountain West (including Nevada and Arizona).
“We are grateful to the many Jazz fans throughout the Intermountain Region and excited to show our appreciation by visiting these communities for Jr. Jazz basketball clinics,” Jazz president Randy Rigby said in a statement. “Our players genuinely enjoy the opportunity to interact with youth, helping them learn about teamwork, sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles through basketball.”
Evans, Derrick Favors and DeMarre Carroll conducted clinics last season, carrying on a tradition that both John Stockton and Karl Malone previously participated in. Notable Jr. Jazz athletes include NFLers Brady Poppinga, Paul Kruger, Kevin Curtis and Kevin Dyson; ex-NBA players Shawn Bradley and Travis Hansen; former American Idol finalist David Archuleta and Herriman little-league football superstar Sam Gordon.
Next week's Jr. Jazz tour schedule:
Monday: Morgan (10 a.m.), Evanston, Wyo. (1:30 p.m.); Soda Springs, Idaho (5 p.m.)
Tuesday: Kemmerer, Wyo. (10 a.m.), Green River, Wyo. (1 p.m.), Rock Springs, Wyo. (4 p.m.)
Wednesday: Hanna, Wyo. (10 a.m.), Rawlins, Wyo. (12:30 p.m.), Lander, Wyo. (4:30 p.m.)
Thursday: Big Piney, Wyo. (11 a.m.), Pinedale, Wyo. (1:30 p.m.)
Friday: Driggs, Idaho (11 a.m.), Shelley, Idaho (2:30 p.m.), Pocatello, Idaho (6 p.m.)
Saturday: Cokeville, Wyo. (11:30 a.m.), Logan (3:30 p.m.)
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is up,...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- BYU football notebook: Return of Travis...
- Dick Harmon: Too soon for BYU's Taysom Hill...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- Runnin' Utes get commitment from top prospect...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part... 96
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 40
- Morning links: Whittingham's stock is... 37
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 35
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 34
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 33