USU track: Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams earn Academic All-District VIII honors
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State track and field athletes Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams have been named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District VIII track and field/cross-country teams, it was announced Thursday.
McKenna, a junior from Farmington, Idaho, has a cumulative 3.97 grade point average majoring in music and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII first-team. Williams, a sophomore from Enterprise, Utah, has a cumulative 4.00 grade point average majoring in human movement science and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII second-team.
McKenna is the only male track and field athlete from the Western Athletic Conference to receive CoSIDA Academic All-District honors and one of just two student-athletes from the state of Utah to be honored along with Utah Valley’s Stephen Wickhamshire.
Williams was the only female track and field athlete from the WAC to earn CoSIDA Academic All-District honors and one of four student-athletes from the state of Utah to be recognized joining Weber State’s Sarah Callister and Amber Henry, and BYU’s Rachel Fisher who were all named to the first-team.
During the 2012-13 academic year, McKenna earned first-team all-WAC honors after finishing second at the 2012 WAC Cross Country Championships, second in the 5,000m at the 2013 WAC Indoor Championships, and second in the 5,000m and 10,000m at the 2013 WAC Outdoor Championships. Overall, McKenna has earned first-team all-WAC honors six times in his career and second-team all-WAC honors five times. He is also a seven-time academic all-WAC honoree. McKenna concluded his junior season by placing 29th in the 10,000m at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Williams earned second-team all-WAC honors during the 2012-13 academic year after placing sixth in the high jump at the 2013 Outdoor Championships. She also earned first-team all-WAC honors after winning the high jump at the 2012 Outdoor Championships. Williams concluded her sophomore season by placing 32nd in the high jump at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
The Academic All-District teams are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. First-team Academic All-District honorees advance to the Capital One Academic All-America Team ballot, where first-, second- and third-team All-America honorees will be selected next month.
District VIII is made up of schools from Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer Longson:...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Deseret News Sports Report Podcast: Breaking...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 35
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25