USU track: Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams earn Academic All-District VIII honors
LOGAN, Utah – Utah State track and field athletes Kyle McKenna and Jodi Williams have been named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District VIII track and field/cross-country teams, it was announced Thursday.
McKenna, a junior from Farmington, Idaho, has a cumulative 3.97 grade point average majoring in music and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII first-team. Williams, a sophomore from Enterprise, Utah, has a cumulative 4.00 grade point average majoring in human movement science and was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District VIII second-team.
McKenna is the only male track and field athlete from the Western Athletic Conference to receive CoSIDA Academic All-District honors and one of just two student-athletes from the state of Utah to be honored along with Utah Valley’s Stephen Wickhamshire.
Williams was the only female track and field athlete from the WAC to earn CoSIDA Academic All-District honors and one of four student-athletes from the state of Utah to be recognized joining Weber State’s Sarah Callister and Amber Henry, and BYU’s Rachel Fisher who were all named to the first-team.
During the 2012-13 academic year, McKenna earned first-team all-WAC honors after finishing second at the 2012 WAC Cross Country Championships, second in the 5,000m at the 2013 WAC Indoor Championships, and second in the 5,000m and 10,000m at the 2013 WAC Outdoor Championships. Overall, McKenna has earned first-team all-WAC honors six times in his career and second-team all-WAC honors five times. He is also a seven-time academic all-WAC honoree. McKenna concluded his junior season by placing 29th in the 10,000m at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Williams earned second-team all-WAC honors during the 2012-13 academic year after placing sixth in the high jump at the 2013 Outdoor Championships. She also earned first-team all-WAC honors after winning the high jump at the 2012 Outdoor Championships. Williams concluded her sophomore season by placing 32nd in the high jump at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
The Academic All-District teams are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. First-team Academic All-District honorees advance to the Capital One Academic All-America Team ballot, where first-, second- and third-team All-America honorees will be selected next month.
District VIII is made up of schools from Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat about this...
- Team Utah advances to quarterfinals of The...
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's open to...
- College football countdown No. 40: Utah State...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 13
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- Reports: BYU's Chase Fischer to play... 4