Utah Jazz: John Stockton autobiography 'Assisted' to hit shelves this fall
SALT LAKE CITY — To catch you up to speed on Utah Jazz legends, Jerry Sloan is still mentioned in job-opening rumors, Jeff Hornacek is the Phoenix Suns head coach and Karl Malone has agreed to mentor his old team's big men.
Oh yeah, and John Stockton is now an author!?
The Hall of Fame point guard's autobiography "Assisted" — co-authored by Kerry L. Pickett, his junior high coach in Spokane, Wash. — will be released this fall.
Deseret Book posted an Instagram photo of Stockton signing his Shadow Mountain-published book Thursday from the Book Expo America in New York City.
Turns out, the NBA's all-time assist leader got an assist from Malone for the book, as the power forward wrote the introductory blurb — call it a "power foreword" — for his pick-and-roll partner of 18 years.
The book from Stockton, who retired in 2003 after an incredible 19-year career in Utah, will be made available to the public Oct. 29.
Here is the description of "Assisted" from Amazon.com:
"Fast, gritty, durable player who could read a basketball floor as well as anyone who ever played the game, John Stockton left the NBA after 19 seasons with the Utah Jazz, holding a massive assist record, including the career mark (15,806).
"He also twice led the league in steals with a career total of 3,265 and retired as the NBA's all-time leader. And during Stockton's career, the Jazz never missed the playoffs. Coach Frank Layden said, 'Nobody thought that he was going to be this good. Nobody. But the thing was, nobody measured his heart.'
"John's autobiography, 'Assisted,' pulls back the curtain on his very personal life to show fans a thoughtful recounting of the people, places and events that have connected with John along his path of extraordinary success. This book clearly illustrates the importance of his family, his faith and his unparalleled competitive spirit."
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- RSL hangs on to defeat Houston, thanks to...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Hollis: Past Jazz players vs. the current...
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 101
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 64
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 30
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 27
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 20
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14