Utah Jazz: John Stockton autobiography 'Assisted' to hit shelves this fall
SALT LAKE CITY — To catch you up to speed on Utah Jazz legends, Jerry Sloan is still mentioned in job-opening rumors, Jeff Hornacek is the Phoenix Suns head coach and Karl Malone has agreed to mentor his old team's big men.
Oh yeah, and John Stockton is now an author!?
The Hall of Fame point guard's autobiography "Assisted" — co-authored by Kerry L. Pickett, his junior high coach in Spokane, Wash. — will be released this fall.
Deseret Book posted an Instagram photo of Stockton signing his Shadow Mountain-published book Thursday from the Book Expo America in New York City.
Turns out, the NBA's all-time assist leader got an assist from Malone for the book, as the power forward wrote the introductory blurb — call it a "power foreword" — for his pick-and-roll partner of 18 years.
The book from Stockton, who retired in 2003 after an incredible 19-year career in Utah, will be made available to the public Oct. 29.
Here is the description of "Assisted" from Amazon.com:
"Fast, gritty, durable player who could read a basketball floor as well as anyone who ever played the game, John Stockton left the NBA after 19 seasons with the Utah Jazz, holding a massive assist record, including the career mark (15,806).
"He also twice led the league in steals with a career total of 3,265 and retired as the NBA's all-time leader. And during Stockton's career, the Jazz never missed the playoffs. Coach Frank Layden said, 'Nobody thought that he was going to be this good. Nobody. But the thing was, nobody measured his heart.'
"John's autobiography, 'Assisted,' pulls back the curtain on his very personal life to show fans a thoughtful recounting of the people, places and events that have connected with John along his path of extraordinary success. This book clearly illustrates the importance of his family, his faith and his unparalleled competitive spirit."
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Utah Jazz host third pre-draft workout,...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- BYU baseball team confident entering... 8