Despite lower income, women are more responsible with credit than men
Despite the fact that women are earning less money, a new study shows they are managing their credit more responsibly.
According to the American Association of University Women, women who work full-time in the U.S. earn roughly 23 percent less than the average man. Experian, a website that tracks credit information, reports that despite their higher earnings, men have 4.3 percent more debt than women.
One reason men tend to have higher debt, according to Experian, is a national trend toward higher mortgages. According to the study, men have 18.3 percent more independent mortgages than women, which CBS suggests is possibly the result of their overall higher income.
Even though the same study shows that both men and women use close to the same amount of their available credit — 31 percent and 30 percent respectively — the study shows that men also struggle to make payments on time.
When comparing state-by-state, some of the numbers become even more dramatic. A CBS News report shows that in Connecticut, men have a 13.6 percent higher rate of late payments on mortgages than women, and they have 8.6 percent more debt from credit cards, personal loans and auto loans.
CBS also suggests that given their higher income, men should theoretically have better credit scores. The combination of higher mortgages with a tendency to be late on payments, however, has caused men’s credit to lag behind women's.
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- Restaurants experimenting with pay-in-advance...
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Navy vet says the effects of this are like...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 10
- Food stamp use shows continued... 8
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Middle-class shoppers more sensitive to... 1