Despite lower income, women are more responsible with credit than men
Despite the fact that women are earning less money, a new study shows they are managing their credit more responsibly.
According to the American Association of University Women, women who work full-time in the U.S. earn roughly 23 percent less than the average man. Experian, a website that tracks credit information, reports that despite their higher earnings, men have 4.3 percent more debt than women.
One reason men tend to have higher debt, according to Experian, is a national trend toward higher mortgages. According to the study, men have 18.3 percent more independent mortgages than women, which CBS suggests is possibly the result of their overall higher income.
Even though the same study shows that both men and women use close to the same amount of their available credit — 31 percent and 30 percent respectively — the study shows that men also struggle to make payments on time.
When comparing state-by-state, some of the numbers become even more dramatic. A CBS News report shows that in Connecticut, men have a 13.6 percent higher rate of late payments on mortgages than women, and they have 8.6 percent more debt from credit cards, personal loans and auto loans.
CBS also suggests that given their higher income, men should theoretically have better credit scores. The combination of higher mortgages with a tendency to be late on payments, however, has caused men’s credit to lag behind women's.
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- What it takes to be middle class in each state
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Why some handsome men have trouble finding work
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Why it's important to be yourself at work
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't be ashamed of... 18
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 2
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is... 1
- Why college matters more today than 20... 1