Despite lower income, women are more responsible with credit than men
Despite the fact that women are earning less money, a new study shows they are managing their credit more responsibly.
According to the American Association of University Women, women who work full-time in the U.S. earn roughly 23 percent less than the average man. Experian, a website that tracks credit information, reports that despite their higher earnings, men have 4.3 percent more debt than women.
One reason men tend to have higher debt, according to Experian, is a national trend toward higher mortgages. According to the study, men have 18.3 percent more independent mortgages than women, which CBS suggests is possibly the result of their overall higher income.
Even though the same study shows that both men and women use close to the same amount of their available credit — 31 percent and 30 percent respectively — the study shows that men also struggle to make payments on time.
When comparing state-by-state, some of the numbers become even more dramatic. A CBS News report shows that in Connecticut, men have a 13.6 percent higher rate of late payments on mortgages than women, and they have 8.6 percent more debt from credit cards, personal loans and auto loans.
CBS also suggests that given their higher income, men should theoretically have better credit scores. The combination of higher mortgages with a tendency to be late on payments, however, has caused men’s credit to lag behind women's.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- How do Americans use their time? 1