Bald with a purpose makes its way into Wednesday's top sports photos
Most of the time, going bald is a sign of old age or a fashion statement. Heck, for some people, it's a downright skill — one other people simply don't have.
For several of the Chicago Bears this week, however, it became much more.
Adam Podlesh, a punter for the Bears, was joined by several teammates when he decided to shave his head bald this week. This wasn't just a team-bonding activity. It was a decisive act of charity and support made on behalf of a 6-year-old boy diagnosed with cancer.
Podlesh is a cancer survivor himself, having been lucky enough to see his own symptoms go into remission. Spurred by experience, Podlesh didn't wait to act after meeting Gavin Waterman.
The 6-year-old boy receives treatment hours away from his home, denying him the chance to see his two older siblings. The parents stay with Gavin often, but the emotional support has essentially crippled the financial means for Gavin's treatment, which was expensive enough to begin with.
Enter Podlesh and Co., who had already raised more than $5,000 before Wednesday ended. Their goal is $10,000.
"I don't think that I would be as involved with cancer charities and events as I am now if I hadn't been diagnosed with cancer," Podlesh said on the Chicago Bears' website. "After going through remission and being cancer-free, I've really made it my purpose to try to do whatever I can to help the fight against cancer."
Including losing his hair voluntarily to help against the disease that often leaves no choice for the people it inflicts.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 105
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 88
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 44
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24