Bald with a purpose makes its way into Wednesday's top sports photos
Most of the time, going bald is a sign of old age or a fashion statement. Heck, for some people, it's a downright skill — one other people simply don't have.
For several of the Chicago Bears this week, however, it became much more.
Adam Podlesh, a punter for the Bears, was joined by several teammates when he decided to shave his head bald this week. This wasn't just a team-bonding activity. It was a decisive act of charity and support made on behalf of a 6-year-old boy diagnosed with cancer.
Podlesh is a cancer survivor himself, having been lucky enough to see his own symptoms go into remission. Spurred by experience, Podlesh didn't wait to act after meeting Gavin Waterman.
The 6-year-old boy receives treatment hours away from his home, denying him the chance to see his two older siblings. The parents stay with Gavin often, but the emotional support has essentially crippled the financial means for Gavin's treatment, which was expensive enough to begin with.
Enter Podlesh and Co., who had already raised more than $5,000 before Wednesday ended. Their goal is $10,000.
"I don't think that I would be as involved with cancer charities and events as I am now if I hadn't been diagnosed with cancer," Podlesh said on the Chicago Bears' website. "After going through remission and being cancer-free, I've really made it my purpose to try to do whatever I can to help the fight against cancer."
Including losing his hair voluntarily to help against the disease that often leaves no choice for the people it inflicts.
Matt Petersen is the Sports Web Editor for DeseretNews.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @TheMattPetersen.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37