Charges filed against father accused of stabbing U. student
SALT LAKE CITY — The father accused of stabbing his son at University of Utah Village over the weekend has been charged with attempted homicide, a first-degree felony.
Forghan Ghodrati, 61, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court. He also faces one count of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony. Court documents indicate he lives in Salt Lake City.
Police say Ghodrati went to his son's apartment, 1945 E. Sunnyside Ave., and asked him to translate a government document Sunday. Ghodrati's 28-year-old son lives near the U. campus with his wife.
While the younger man was reading, Ghodrati came up behind his son and began stabbing him, continuing until he struggled free, charges state.
The son was found with stab wounds to his right abdomen and right upper chest area and was transported to University Hospital, where it was discovered his liver had been punctured in the attack, according to the charges. A kitchen knife with a 4-inch blade was found near his body.
Police found Ghodrati hiding behind a Dumpster in West University Village and reported the man began banging his head on a concrete wall when confronted, charges state.
Ghodrati was also transported to University Hospital, where he told a translator he was trying to kill his son and wanted to kill himself, according to the charges. He was booked into Salt Lake County Jail, where he remained Wednesday.
— McKenzie Romero
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11