SALT LAKE CITY — The father accused of stabbing his son at University of Utah Village over the weekend has been charged with attempted homicide, a first-degree felony.
Forghan Ghodrati, 61, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court. He also faces one count of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony. Court documents indicate he lives in Salt Lake City.
Police say Ghodrati went to his son's apartment, 1945 E. Sunnyside Ave., and asked him to translate a government document Sunday. Ghodrati's 28-year-old son lives near the U. campus with his wife.
While the younger man was reading, Ghodrati came up behind his son and began stabbing him, continuing until he struggled free, charges state.
The son was found with stab wounds to his right abdomen and right upper chest area and was transported to University Hospital, where it was discovered his liver had been punctured in the attack, according to the charges. A kitchen knife with a 4-inch blade was found near his body.
Police found Ghodrati hiding behind a Dumpster in West University Village and reported the man began banging his head on a concrete wall when confronted, charges state.
Ghodrati was also transported to University Hospital, where he told a translator he was trying to kill his son and wanted to kill himself, according to the charges. He was booked into Salt Lake County Jail, where he remained Wednesday.
— McKenzie Romero
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 15
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13