School, law enforcement hoping to learn from false gun scare at North Davis Junior High School

Published: Wednesday, May 29 2013 5:45 p.m. MDT

Students and teachers leave the school holding their hands up in front of law enforcement after North Davis Junior High School was placed on lockdown after an apparent person with a gun was in the schoolTuesday, May 28, 2013, in Clearfield.

Tom Smart, Deseret News

CLEARFIELD — Davis County school officials say the faculty at North Davis Junior High School reacted quickly and responsibly to a false threat of a gunman Tuesday, and they're planning to meet with law enforcement to review the incident.

North Davis Junior High was placed in lockdown Tuesday after a caller inside the school reported that a gunman was on the property. The call, which authorities believe to have been a prank, launched a massive police response as the school was searched room by room and eventually evacuated.

Nearby schools South Davis Elementary and Clearfield High were also placed on lockdown as a precaution.

Based on the tips of classmates, police arrested a 13-year-old boy in connection with the prank and booked him into the Farmington Bay Youth Detention Center. The boy faces possible felony charges.

On Wednesday, Clearfield Police Sgt. Kyle Jeffries said the Davis County Attorney's Office was in the process of screening charges against the student, who is believed to have acted alone but gave little indication to police of his motivations.

"All indications were it was done by this one individual," Jeffries said. "He didn’t give any information as to why he would have done it."

All three schools were back in session Wednesday, Davis School District spokesman Chris Williams said, and law enforcement and school officials were planning to meet Thursday to review their responses to the incident.

"We’re going to be meeting with the agencies who were involved with this situation," he said.

Williams said it is district procedure to review threats to school safety, such as Tuesday's false gunman or an incident in April where a device resembling a pipe bomb was found on the roof of Mountain View Elementary School in Layton.

Williams said those events offer a chance to review safety procedures, as well as determine what worked well and what could have been improved in the response of officials.

"If we don’t do that, we can’t get better at what we do," he said. "Every situation is one that should be reviewed."

Christina Winkler, a seventh-grade student at North Davis Junior High, said there was a noticeably large number of students who did not return to school Wednesday. She said it was strange returning to school and to the classroom where she spent roughly an hour on lockdown waiting for news.

"It was terrible," she said of the school day Wednesday. "Kids were missing, people were suspicious and rumors just were flying all over the place because people were frightened. Not one conversation came up today without somebody mentioning what happened yesterday."

Christina described the lockdown and subsequent SWAT team search and evacuation as traumatizing, saying students were anxiously looking for friends and family once outside the school.

Students were searched for weapons and instructed to exit the school with their hands in the air, she said. After it became clear the threat had been a hoax, there was a lot of anger and confusion.

"Emotions were all over the place," she said. "We didn’t know what to think. Nobody felt that it was OK that somebody caused a SWAT team to come into our school."

Kate Rustad, another seventh-grade student, said she began to worry soon after the lockdown began, as it was clear they were not participating in a drill. She said she was "full of tears" when she finally made her way out of the building.

"I got really scared because I couldn’t find my sister and I couldn’t find my best friend," she said. "When I saw my mom, I ran to her and we just started crying."

Get The Deseret News Everywhere