Guv appoints S.L. County mayor, others to prison relocation committee
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert named Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams and five others Wednesday to the board charged with looking at a new location for the state prison.
McAdams, a Democrat, had publicly sought a seat on the newly reorganized Prison Relocation and Development Authority, citing the impact moving the decades-old facility from Draper would have on county taxpayers.
The Republican governor called his appointees "a diverse and independent group of well-qualified Utahns who will help ensure that any proposal to move the prison is examined thoroughly and is in the best interest of Utah and the taxpayer."
Herbert's other appointments to the board are Lane Summerhays, Workers Compensation Fund board member; S. Camille Anthony, Utah Board of Pardons and Parole pro tempore member; Dave Luna, Mortgage Educators president; 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton; and Garfield County Commissioner Leland Pollack.
Four GOP lawmakers have already been named to the board, which was altered by the 2013 Legislature to focus on reviewing proposals for relocating the prison and developing the Point of the Mountain property.
Other members of the board, which by law must begin meeting by June 15, will represent Draper.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Herbert signs bills for Fairpark arena funds,...
- Police answering welfare call find woman...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 23
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14