Guv appoints S.L. County mayor, others to prison relocation committee
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert named Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams and five others Wednesday to the board charged with looking at a new location for the state prison.
McAdams, a Democrat, had publicly sought a seat on the newly reorganized Prison Relocation and Development Authority, citing the impact moving the decades-old facility from Draper would have on county taxpayers.
The Republican governor called his appointees "a diverse and independent group of well-qualified Utahns who will help ensure that any proposal to move the prison is examined thoroughly and is in the best interest of Utah and the taxpayer."
Herbert's other appointments to the board are Lane Summerhays, Workers Compensation Fund board member; S. Camille Anthony, Utah Board of Pardons and Parole pro tempore member; Dave Luna, Mortgage Educators president; 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton; and Garfield County Commissioner Leland Pollack.
Four GOP lawmakers have already been named to the board, which was altered by the 2013 Legislature to focus on reviewing proposals for relocating the prison and developing the Point of the Mountain property.
Other members of the board, which by law must begin meeting by June 15, will represent Draper.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Teen dies in suspected overdose in Farmington
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 21
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 15
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13