Guv appoints S.L. County mayor, others to prison relocation committee
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert named Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams and five others Wednesday to the board charged with looking at a new location for the state prison.
McAdams, a Democrat, had publicly sought a seat on the newly reorganized Prison Relocation and Development Authority, citing the impact moving the decades-old facility from Draper would have on county taxpayers.
The Republican governor called his appointees "a diverse and independent group of well-qualified Utahns who will help ensure that any proposal to move the prison is examined thoroughly and is in the best interest of Utah and the taxpayer."
Herbert's other appointments to the board are Lane Summerhays, Workers Compensation Fund board member; S. Camille Anthony, Utah Board of Pardons and Parole pro tempore member; Dave Luna, Mortgage Educators president; 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton; and Garfield County Commissioner Leland Pollack.
Four GOP lawmakers have already been named to the board, which was altered by the 2013 Legislature to focus on reviewing proposals for relocating the prison and developing the Point of the Mountain property.
Other members of the board, which by law must begin meeting by June 15, will represent Draper.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 161
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21