Guv appoints S.L. County mayor, others to prison relocation committee
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert named Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams and five others Wednesday to the board charged with looking at a new location for the state prison.
McAdams, a Democrat, had publicly sought a seat on the newly reorganized Prison Relocation and Development Authority, citing the impact moving the decades-old facility from Draper would have on county taxpayers.
The Republican governor called his appointees "a diverse and independent group of well-qualified Utahns who will help ensure that any proposal to move the prison is examined thoroughly and is in the best interest of Utah and the taxpayer."
Herbert's other appointments to the board are Lane Summerhays, Workers Compensation Fund board member; S. Camille Anthony, Utah Board of Pardons and Parole pro tempore member; Dave Luna, Mortgage Educators president; 3rd District Judge Judith Atherton; and Garfield County Commissioner Leland Pollack.
Four GOP lawmakers have already been named to the board, which was altered by the 2013 Legislature to focus on reviewing proposals for relocating the prison and developing the Point of the Mountain property.
Other members of the board, which by law must begin meeting by June 15, will represent Draper.
— Lisa Riley Roche
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- No vacancy: SUU scrambling to house largest...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36