South tops North in rain-shortened baseball all-star classic
OREM — Throughout Tuesday afternoon, the clouds opened and poured rain profusely for hours. But, just in time for the 15th Annual Utah Valley All-Star Baseball Classic, those same clouds ran dry.
For six innings.
At Utah Valley University, 48 of the finest players from 14 high school programs in Utah County squared off against one another. With the South clinging to a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the sixth, the rain flooded the field and grandstands, ultimately giving the South the one-run win.
In the top of the third inning, American Fork’s Zac Willis roped a two-out, two run RBI double down the first base line to give the North a 2-0 cushion.
The South, which had posted two hits through the first four innings, connected in the fifth. After a passed ball brought home the first run with no outs, Spanish Fork’s Connor Johnson ripped an RBI single to left, but was subsequently thrown out at second in an attempt to stretch the hit into a double.
The next batter, Maple Mountain’s Jonah Flinders, gave the South its first lead, 3-2, with a shallow RBI single.
Salem Hills and Spanish Fork led all teams with five participants while Timpanogos, American Fork and Maple Mountain each dressed four players. Not wanting to risk injuring throwing arms, neither team used a pitcher more than two full innings and rotated the batting order frequently.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19