South tops North in rain-shortened baseball all-star classic
OREM — Throughout Tuesday afternoon, the clouds opened and poured rain profusely for hours. But, just in time for the 15th Annual Utah Valley All-Star Baseball Classic, those same clouds ran dry.
For six innings.
At Utah Valley University, 48 of the finest players from 14 high school programs in Utah County squared off against one another. With the South clinging to a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the sixth, the rain flooded the field and grandstands, ultimately giving the South the one-run win.
In the top of the third inning, American Fork’s Zac Willis roped a two-out, two run RBI double down the first base line to give the North a 2-0 cushion.
The South, which had posted two hits through the first four innings, connected in the fifth. After a passed ball brought home the first run with no outs, Spanish Fork’s Connor Johnson ripped an RBI single to left, but was subsequently thrown out at second in an attempt to stretch the hit into a double.
The next batter, Maple Mountain’s Jonah Flinders, gave the South its first lead, 3-2, with a shallow RBI single.
Salem Hills and Spanish Fork led all teams with five participants while Timpanogos, American Fork and Maple Mountain each dressed four players. Not wanting to risk injuring throwing arms, neither team used a pitcher more than two full innings and rotated the batting order frequently.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 16