Veteran technology journalist Pete Pachal published an op-ed article Tuesday on the tech website Mashable with the headline “Netflix Loses Viacom and a Key Demographic: Toddlers.” Pachal’s opinion piece essentially decries Netflix’s strategic decision to let its contract for streaming rights lapse with Viacom, the parent company of Nickelodeon, because it means no more “Blue’s Clues” for his 3-year-old son.
“Netflix's decision is tied directly to its new strategy of being an ‘expert programmer’ and curator instead of a broad distributor of entertainment,” Pachal wrote. “It's a decision (that) also happens to be the wrong strategy, at least for the toddler demographic. Like many new parents, I often turn to Netflix to keep my three-year-old son occupied for a little while when necessary. When I do, I'm not looking for marquee titles with high production values — I just want something peaceful (and possibly even educational) that he likes. Young children can be picky, but if you have access to Nickelodeon's entire catalog, chances are you're going to find something they'll enjoy.”
Despite Pachal’s protestation, Netflix still maintains an extensive streaming catalog with hundreds of age-appropriate episodes from toddler-friendly franchises such as “Veggie Tales,” “Thomas & Friends,” “Barney” and “Bob the Builder.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Overstock employees ride bicycles to work to...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry proposed...
- Batman and the search for familial stability
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 12
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 4
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 4
- Beef pollutes more than pork, poultry,... 2
- Airlines scrap Israel flights over... 2