Images of world sport: Memorial Day weekend's top photos from baseball, soccer and more
Jon Super, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Bayern Munich and Dortmund arrived at London's Wembley Stadium on Saturday with only one goal in mind: take home a Champions League title. Ninety minutes and three goals later, Bayern claimed European club soccer's most prestigious title with a 2-1 victory.
Michael Frolik didn't know it when it happened, but over the weekend, he became the first player in Stanley Cup playoff history to score on two penalties. His third period penalty conversion put the Chicago Blackhawks up 4-2 against the Detroit Red Wings, sending the series back to Chicago for game seven.
Across the United States, families fired up the barbecue and enjoyed the afternoon while tuning in to any number of baseball games. The Yankees fell short at Citi Field, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Mets in the subway series, while the Dodgers defeated the Angels in a close game, 8-7.
Speaking of Angels, Angel Pagan became the first player to hit a walk-off-inside-the-park home run since 2004 with his winner against the Rockies on Sunday.
From that hit to Bayern Munich's title, here are the top 40 photos from the wide world of sports.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42