Utah football: Beat BYU or go to a bowl? Utah fans say rivalry game victory more important
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Would Utah football fans rather beat rival BYU and finish with a losing season or lose the rivalry game and finish the season with a bowl game? The blog Ute Football Central posed that question to Twitter followers earlier this month.
According to the blog post, 64 percent of Utah fans would rather beat BYU than go to a bowl game, according the poll. The self-proclaimed unscientific poll sheds an interesting light on the passion and importance that fans place on the game each year.
This year will mark the last rivalry game between BYU and Utah before a two-year hiatus due to scheduling conflicts. The game has been played continuously since 1946.
BYU has been to eight straight bowl games since 2005 and Utah, which was not bowl eligible in 2013, has beaten BYU in four out of the last five rivalry games and leads the all time series with a record of 56–34–4.
BYU and Utah fans, which would you prefer, a rivalry victory with a losing season, or a rivalry loss and bowl game? Answer the poll in the sidebar or post in the comments below.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34