Utah football: Beat BYU or go to a bowl? Utah fans say rivalry game victory more important
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Would Utah football fans rather beat rival BYU and finish with a losing season or lose the rivalry game and finish the season with a bowl game? The blog Ute Football Central posed that question to Twitter followers earlier this month.
According to the blog post, 64 percent of Utah fans would rather beat BYU than go to a bowl game, according the poll. The self-proclaimed unscientific poll sheds an interesting light on the passion and importance that fans place on the game each year.
This year will mark the last rivalry game between BYU and Utah before a two-year hiatus due to scheduling conflicts. The game has been played continuously since 1946.
BYU has been to eight straight bowl games since 2005 and Utah, which was not bowl eligible in 2013, has beaten BYU in four out of the last five rivalry games and leads the all time series with a record of 56–34–4.
BYU and Utah fans, which would you prefer, a rivalry victory with a losing season, or a rivalry loss and bowl game? Answer the poll in the sidebar or post in the comments below.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19