PROVO — The BYU men's and women's track teams will be consolidated under head coach Ed Eyestone starting June 10, athletic director Tom Holmoe announced Tuesday.
Under NCAA rules, schools with separate men's and women's teams are allowed three full-time coaches per team. By combining the two teams, BYU track athletes will have a full-time coach in their respective events.
"This change will give us an opportunity to administer the track and field program more effectively and efficiently," Holmoe said. "It allows for better coordination of competition schedules, recruiting and travel. The biggest advantage is our student-athletes will benefit from increased individualized coaching."
Combining men's and women's teams is part of a growing trend in college athletics. In 2009, BYU consolidated its men's and women's swimming programs.
Eyestone has coached at BYU since 2000. He has guided the Cougars to nine conference titles in cross country, and four top-10 finishes in the NCAA championships.
Eyestone retained Mark Robison and Patrick Shane — the head coaches of the men's and women's programs — on the coaching staff. Other coaching positions are under review. BYU competes in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation during the indoor season. During the outdoor season, the Cougars compete as an independent.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 85
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32