Janet Blackmon Morgan, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Will the recent boost in approval that the tea party has received in the wake of government scandals be enough to keep the party — still smarting from a lackluster showing in the 2012 elections — relevant? Christopher Parker certainly doesn’t think so in his recent CNN op-ed.
While disapproval of government might be rising with the increase in scandals reported on in the news, Parker argues that the hype won’t last long enough to give the tea party enough momentum to last until 2014 without a proper platform that is more than just being against big government and reckless spending. “If the tea party and Republicans wish to make political hay that will carry them through 2014, they must return their gaze to the substantive policy issues that tend to mobilize their supporters: Immigration reform and same-sex marriage are two examples.”
But when increased immigration control means more federal spending and oppposing same-sex marriage means that government interferes with personal lives, can the tea party make the case? Parker doesn’t think they’ll do a very good job. “Isn't it ironic that to sustain support through 2014, and to have a shot at the White House, the tea party will have to push policy solutions to important issues that rely upon bigger — not smaller — government?”
Freeman Stevenson is a Snow College grad and is the DeseretNews.com opinion intern. Reach me at fstevenson@deseretdigital or @freemandesnews
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 47
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 38
- Capitalism and the common good:... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 36