Laura Seitz, Deseret News
WEST POINT — The father of two boys killed Wednesday afternoon does not want their elder brother, suspected of killing the boys, tried as an adult, he said Monday.
Alex Vidinhar, 10, and Benjie Vidinhar, 4, were found dead in their West Point home Wednesday with wounds consistent of a stabbing. They had been left in the care of their 15-year-old brother, who was arrested on suspicion of murder and booked into the Farmington Bay Youth Detention Center Thursday.
On Friday, officials with the Davis County Attorney's Office said they were still screening possible charges for the teenager, which could come as early as Tuesday.
"We never imagined something like this could happen," said the boys' father, who spoke with KSL and the Deseret News on condition that his first name not be used. "I understand that there must be justice, but life without parole would be way too harsh for a 15-year-old with no previous criminal history."
The boys' father said he believes emotional or mental health issues may have played a role in the tragic incident. He said he hopes that his son's case can be handled through the juvenile justice system so he can receive better treatment for whatever mental health problems he may be experiencing.
He described Alex as positive and loving of everybody and noted that Benjie, because of his young age, had not had as much interaction with the community.
"I believe that Alex and Benjie will be in heaven," he said. "We will miss them, and so will many people in the community."
He also said he was thankful for the support he and his family have received from members of their church, friends, family and neighbors.
Funeral arrangements have not yet been made and the father said the funeral will not be held this week. Individuals interested in donating to an account created for the family can do so through the Vidinhar Family Charitable Account at America First Credit Union.
Contributing: Mike Anderson
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Police: 2 teens killed in Sandy crash...
- 'Another piece to the puzzle': Census reveals...
- First prison relocation open house changes...
- Warrant issued for Vernal mother accused of...
- Prosecutors file new charge against ex-Utah...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 30
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 27
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17