PAT SULLIVAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
It's obvious why many are rethinking such a costly pursuit. Federal and private student loan debt has surpassed $1 trillion, according to FinAid.com, and postgraduate unemployment has reached 8.2 percent.
In his recent book, "Is College Worth It," Bennett suggests it is important to look at a university’s return on investment before putting in an application.
Based on this ROI standard, which determines the ranking of a college by analyzing its 30 year NET return on investment, Bennett claims there are only 150 colleges in America worth their price. That’s 150 out of the 3,500 colleges in the United States.
"Is College Worth It" uses data provided by PayScale's yearly survey that ranks the country’s colleges by their ROI, comparing state schools and private universities as well as in-state and out-of-state tuition.
Of the 150 universities referenced by Bennett, only one is located in Utah: BYU, which comes in at number 84 on the list. Other prominent Utah universities included on PayScale's report are Utah State University (number 225), University of Utah (number 251) and Southern Utah University (number 1,379).
Did your school make the cut?
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Young widows speak out about managing grief,...
- Is the 40-hour workweek falling out of fashion?
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4 percent
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Dave Ramsey says: Gaining control of your...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 9
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 3
- The college degrees with the highest... 2