PAT SULLIVAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
It's obvious why many are rethinking such a costly pursuit. Federal and private student loan debt has surpassed $1 trillion, according to FinAid.com, and postgraduate unemployment has reached 8.2 percent.
Even the former-Secretary of Education William Bennett expressed concern about the value of a college education.
In his recent book, "Is College Worth It," Bennett suggests it is important to look at a university’s return on investment before putting in an application.
Based on this ROI standard, which determines the ranking of a college by analyzing its 30 year NET return on investment, Bennett claims there are only 150 colleges in America worth their price. That’s 150 out of the 3,500 colleges in the United States.
"Is College Worth It" uses data provided by PayScale's yearly survey that ranks the country’s colleges by their ROI, comparing state schools and private universities as well as in-state and out-of-state tuition.
Of the 150 universities referenced by Bennett, only one is located in Utah: BYU, which comes in at number 84 on the list. Other prominent Utah universities included on PayScale's report are Utah State University (number 225), University of Utah (number 251) and Southern Utah University (number 1,379).
Did your school make the cut?
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- 7 financial lessons from classic Christmas...
- Smart Spending: Buy these items after Christmas
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Are Americans investing or speculating on a...
- What managing money has taught me about...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 84
- The American Dream is still alive for... 11
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop... 8
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 7
- What managing money has taught me about... 5
- 7 financial lessons from classic... 5