PAT SULLIVAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
It's obvious why many are rethinking such a costly pursuit. Federal and private student loan debt has surpassed $1 trillion, according to FinAid.com, and postgraduate unemployment has reached 8.2 percent.
In his recent book, "Is College Worth It," Bennett suggests it is important to look at a university’s return on investment before putting in an application.
Based on this ROI standard, which determines the ranking of a college by analyzing its 30 year NET return on investment, Bennett claims there are only 150 colleges in America worth their price. That’s 150 out of the 3,500 colleges in the United States.
"Is College Worth It" uses data provided by PayScale's yearly survey that ranks the country’s colleges by their ROI, comparing state schools and private universities as well as in-state and out-of-state tuition.
Of the 150 universities referenced by Bennett, only one is located in Utah: BYU, which comes in at number 84 on the list. Other prominent Utah universities included on PayScale's report are Utah State University (number 225), University of Utah (number 251) and Southern Utah University (number 1,379).
Did your school make the cut?
- 30 best cities for starting a business
- Top 10 cities for smallest income inequality gap
- Here's why your teen can't find work
- Which cities have the best income equality?...
- Money mistakes to avoid in your 20s
- Why the rise of smart machines could...
- How will students pay for soaring debt? Tax...
- States explore free community college
- How will students pay for soaring debt?... 79
- Why the rise of smart machines could... 18
- States explore free community college 14
- Which cities have the best income... 12
- Here's why your teen can't find work 12
- Money mistakes to avoid in your 20s 7
- Borrowers using student loans for cash,... 5
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and... 4