Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Anyone who saw the film “Gatsby,” can understand how Alex Rodriguez operates — by spending prodigiously, yet acquiring wealth even more prodigiously.
The Yankees’ star, currently pulling down $29 million on the disabled list, has reportedly sold his Miami mansion for a $15 million profit.
Rodriguez bought the house in 2010 for $7.5 million and matched that with personal upgrades. He recently sold the property for $30 million.
As A-Rod would say, “It is what it is.”
As the Great (Jay) Gatsby would say, “Good show, Old Sport.”
Golfer Sergio Garcia, um, teed off last week on Tiger Woods, with whom he has a running verbal rivalry.
“He called me a whiner. That’s probably right,” Garcia said at a sponsors’ event. “It’s also probably the first thing he’s told you guys that’s true in 15 years. I know what he is like. You guys are finding out
“He can and will beat me, a lot of times, but he is not going to step on me. I’m not afraid of him.”
Said every Republican ever about Barack Obama.
Kobe Bryant is suing an auction house over ownership of memorabilia dating back to his childhood.
Bryant’s mother Pamela claims her son never wanted his old high school jerseys, rings and trophies, and she plans to sell them. She has reportedly been paid a $450,000 advance by the auction house. Bryant says he never gave them away.
Rock On thinks the best way to determine who gets the jerseys is this: Shouldn’t they belong to the person who paid for and laundered them?
Yet another head coaching possibility for ex-Jazz coach Jerry Sloan would be to fill the vacancy in Los Angeles, though he hasn’t been mentioned as a top candidate.
After firing Vinny Del Negro, the Clippers could use a steady hand for young players such as DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin. The positives for Sloan are that he’s experienced and a great teacher.
The bad part?
There’s really no place in Playa Vista to park a tractor.
Ex-Ute assistant coach Tim Davis made news last week when he referred to Alabama coach Nick Saban as “the devil himself.”
Saban said he was disappointed and never intended to offend. In that light, he has since been downgraded in the BCS (Beelzebub Criteria Scale) rankings from “Destroyer” to “Just Another Ornery Coach.”
Headline on The Onion.com: “Dwight Howard Interested in Ruining Rockets.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: therockmonster
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30