Balancing act: Does too-casual attire hurt chances for promotion?
Executives surveyed also noted creative clothing combos that included "short pants and a winter jacket," "shorts and house slippers" and "tennis shoes and men's knicker pants."
I'm all for casual Friday, but shorts and slippers? Really?
But wait — there's more! Executives also noted seeing clothing that, according to the OfficeTeam release, "left little to the imagination," including "a see-through dress," "a bathing suit" and a "backless shirt," as well as "yoga pants" and "very tight bike shorts."
Would that really be distracting, these employees might ask? The answer is, "Absolutely."
"Employees may be tempted to dress down in today's workplace, especially during warmer months, but clothing that's too casual or revealing can be frowned upon," said OfficeTeam Executive Director Robert Hosking. "Although a polished appearance alone won't land you a promotion, it can help others envision you in a leadership role."
Most people have probably heard the old saying that you should dress for the job you want, as opposed to the job you have. I see some merit in that.
However, I also think it's important for people to dress in a manner that will allow them to be both comfortable and productive in the workplace. What that means will differ based on the person and the job he or she is doing, but I think most of us know what is and isn't appropriate to wear to work.
For example, does anyone actually think it's OK to wear a bathing suit or tight bike shorts to a regular office job? I would say probably not.
But I'd like your take on this issue. Do you think what a person wears to work affects his or her chances for promotion? Do you think clothes affect a person's performance? What's the strangest or most inappropriate outfit you've seen a co-worker wear around the office? And do you think business attire in general has become too casual?
Let me know what you think, and I'll share some of your responses in a future column.
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- What American families need to know about the...
- Want to save money in 2015? Here’s your...
- The effect your family has on your financial...
- Helping students 'climb the mountain' of...
- Ashley Eneriz: Why you need to start treating...
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that affect...
- Randy Shumway: The winners and losers of...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 48
- Another study lists Salt Lake as one of... 10
- Helping students 'climb the mountain'... 10
- Survey ranks Utah's best and worst... 9
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- Creative license: Rethinking the... 2
- Kimberly Rotter: 7 weird things that... 1
- Hard-hit worker wonders where the... 1