Balancing act: Does too-casual attire hurt chances for promotion?
Executives surveyed also noted creative clothing combos that included "short pants and a winter jacket," "shorts and house slippers" and "tennis shoes and men's knicker pants."
I'm all for casual Friday, but shorts and slippers? Really?
But wait — there's more! Executives also noted seeing clothing that, according to the OfficeTeam release, "left little to the imagination," including "a see-through dress," "a bathing suit" and a "backless shirt," as well as "yoga pants" and "very tight bike shorts."
Would that really be distracting, these employees might ask? The answer is, "Absolutely."
"Employees may be tempted to dress down in today's workplace, especially during warmer months, but clothing that's too casual or revealing can be frowned upon," said OfficeTeam Executive Director Robert Hosking. "Although a polished appearance alone won't land you a promotion, it can help others envision you in a leadership role."
Most people have probably heard the old saying that you should dress for the job you want, as opposed to the job you have. I see some merit in that.
However, I also think it's important for people to dress in a manner that will allow them to be both comfortable and productive in the workplace. What that means will differ based on the person and the job he or she is doing, but I think most of us know what is and isn't appropriate to wear to work.
For example, does anyone actually think it's OK to wear a bathing suit or tight bike shorts to a regular office job? I would say probably not.
But I'd like your take on this issue. Do you think what a person wears to work affects his or her chances for promotion? Do you think clothes affect a person's performance? What's the strangest or most inappropriate outfit you've seen a co-worker wear around the office? And do you think business attire in general has become too casual?
Let me know what you think, and I'll share some of your responses in a future column.
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,...
- Renovation Solutions: Three renovation...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Where does 'cool' come from?
- Minority of taxpayers pay majority of... 20
- She paid for a family's groceries and... 5
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Finally, Congress OKs bill reshaping... 3
- European vacation as much as 25 percent... 3
- Heavy reliance on US not sustainable,... 3
- Happiness research inspired one... 3
- Why do only half of Americans invest in... 3