High school sports: 2012-13 All-Sports winners feature 3 repeats
Tom Smart, Deseret News
Related list: Recap and gallery of all 86 state championship teams
Editor's note: Since publication, a calculation error was discovered in 4A wrestling, which changed the overall winner from Timpview to Mountain Crest.
The 2012-13 high school sports season was filled with drama both inside the lines, and outside as the UHSAA dealt with some significant eligibility issues.
From Lone Peak’s march to a MaxPreps No. 1 national ranking in basketball, to Morgan’s first boys basketball state title in 39 years, to Jordan’s dominant run through the 5A football season, the 2012-13 season has certainly been a great one to follow.
Now that the dust has settled on the 9 1/2 month grind that included thousands of meets, matches, games and invitationals, as well as 86 state championships, the Deseret News is excited to announce the winners of the 34th-annual All-Sports awards.
Bingham is back on top in 5A after a one-year hiatus. TimpviewMountain Crest narrowly won the 4A title in a very balanced year. Desert Hills won its third-straight 3A title. Richfield won its second-straight 2A title, while St. Joseph won for the seventh-straight year in 1A.
The Deseret News All-Sports award denotes the top overall athletic programs in each of the five classifications. Schools earn All-Sports points for placing in the top eight at state. Ten points are awarded for first, eight for second, six for third, five for fourth, four for fifth, three for sixth, two for seventh and one for eighth. Points are divided when teams tie.
Schools earn points in football, cross country, golf, basketball, wrestling, swimming, baseball, track, soccer, tennis, volleyball and softball.
Class 4A and Class 2A were the only classifications in which every school earned at least one point.
Brighton, which finished fifth in 5A this year, holds the record for 11 consecutive awards from 1980-91. Juan Diego holds the record for most awards points in a season with 112.
Bingham and Desert Hills were the top two teams this year finishing with 92.5 points.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 91
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 40
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 25