UVU wrestling: three UVU wrestlers place at University Nationals
W. Randy Martin
AKRON, Ohio — A trio of wrestlers from Utah Valley University placed at the 2013 ASICS Freestyle University Nationals, held this weekend at the University of Akron.
Redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (60 kg) and redshirt sophomore Adam Fager (120 kg) led the way by both placing sixth in their respective weight class. Junior Avery Garner (63 kg) also finished his tournament run standing on the podium as he placed eighth.
Rauser and Fager, who both competed at their first NCAA Championship Tournament two months ago, finished with 5-3 and 6-3 respective records on the weekend en route to their sixth-place finishes.
Rauser began his tournament run with three straight victories, two of which that were by technical fall, to advance to the quarters. Rauser then fell to the three-time All-American from Wisconsin Tyler Graff but bounced back in the consolation bracket by winning his next two bouts to make the medal rounds. The redshirt freshman then dropped his final two matches.
Fager finished in sixth place at University Nationals for the second consecutive year Sunday. After falling in his opening bout, 6-3 to Ernest James (Edinboro Scotsman Wrestling Club), Fager earned his placement finish by winning his next six bouts in the consolation bracket, which included two by fall and one by technical fall. The Wolverine sophomore then dropped his final two matches of the tournament in the medal rounds.
Garner earned his eighth-place finish by going 4-3 at the tournament. The UVU junior won his first three contests all by technical fall before falling by a point (8-7) to Matthew Rappo of Husky Wrestling Club in the quarters. Garner then advanced to the medal rounds with a tech fall win over Michael Waters (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club). He then ended his tournament by falling in his final two bouts.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 40
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 29
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 20