UVU wrestling: three UVU wrestlers place at University Nationals
W. Randy Martin
AKRON, Ohio — A trio of wrestlers from Utah Valley University placed at the 2013 ASICS Freestyle University Nationals, held this weekend at the University of Akron.
Redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (60 kg) and redshirt sophomore Adam Fager (120 kg) led the way by both placing sixth in their respective weight class. Junior Avery Garner (63 kg) also finished his tournament run standing on the podium as he placed eighth.
Rauser and Fager, who both competed at their first NCAA Championship Tournament two months ago, finished with 5-3 and 6-3 respective records on the weekend en route to their sixth-place finishes.
Rauser began his tournament run with three straight victories, two of which that were by technical fall, to advance to the quarters. Rauser then fell to the three-time All-American from Wisconsin Tyler Graff but bounced back in the consolation bracket by winning his next two bouts to make the medal rounds. The redshirt freshman then dropped his final two matches.
Fager finished in sixth place at University Nationals for the second consecutive year Sunday. After falling in his opening bout, 6-3 to Ernest James (Edinboro Scotsman Wrestling Club), Fager earned his placement finish by winning his next six bouts in the consolation bracket, which included two by fall and one by technical fall. The Wolverine sophomore then dropped his final two matches of the tournament in the medal rounds.
Garner earned his eighth-place finish by going 4-3 at the tournament. The UVU junior won his first three contests all by technical fall before falling by a point (8-7) to Matthew Rappo of Husky Wrestling Club in the quarters. Garner then advanced to the medal rounds with a tech fall win over Michael Waters (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club). He then ended his tournament by falling in his final two bouts.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30