UVU wrestling: three UVU wrestlers place at University Nationals
W. Randy Martin
AKRON, Ohio — A trio of wrestlers from Utah Valley University placed at the 2013 ASICS Freestyle University Nationals, held this weekend at the University of Akron.
Redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (60 kg) and redshirt sophomore Adam Fager (120 kg) led the way by both placing sixth in their respective weight class. Junior Avery Garner (63 kg) also finished his tournament run standing on the podium as he placed eighth.
Rauser and Fager, who both competed at their first NCAA Championship Tournament two months ago, finished with 5-3 and 6-3 respective records on the weekend en route to their sixth-place finishes.
Rauser began his tournament run with three straight victories, two of which that were by technical fall, to advance to the quarters. Rauser then fell to the three-time All-American from Wisconsin Tyler Graff but bounced back in the consolation bracket by winning his next two bouts to make the medal rounds. The redshirt freshman then dropped his final two matches.
Fager finished in sixth place at University Nationals for the second consecutive year Sunday. After falling in his opening bout, 6-3 to Ernest James (Edinboro Scotsman Wrestling Club), Fager earned his placement finish by winning his next six bouts in the consolation bracket, which included two by fall and one by technical fall. The Wolverine sophomore then dropped his final two matches of the tournament in the medal rounds.
Garner earned his eighth-place finish by going 4-3 at the tournament. The UVU junior won his first three contests all by technical fall before falling by a point (8-7) to Matthew Rappo of Husky Wrestling Club in the quarters. Garner then advanced to the medal rounds with a tech fall win over Michael Waters (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club). He then ended his tournament by falling in his final two bouts.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44