BYU track: Victor Weirich vaults himself to NCAA Championships
AUSTIN, Texas – On the last day of competition at the NCAA West Preliminary, Victor Weirich became the sixth member of the BYU men’s track and field team to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Weirich tied for first with two others with a height of 17 feet 8.5 inches to easily qualify. The junior from Fredericksburg, Texas, will be returning to the NCAA Outdoor Championships for the first time since 2011 when he finished fourth to earn All-America honors. Weirich has competed in the NCAA Indoor Championships in each of the last three seasons and earned second-team All-America honors twice and first-honors once.
Braydon Bringhurst also competed in the pole vault but finished outside of the top 12 that qualify for nationals as he tied for 17th.
Saturday’s list of competitors also included two Cougars in the javelin, one in the 1,500 meters and three in the 5,000 meters. Keith Keller and Kyle Baker took 16th and 41st, respectively, in the javelin while Marcus Dickson was seventh in his heat in the 1,500 meters.
Weirich will be joined by Ryan Waite (800 meters), Daniel Carney (steeplechase), Curtis Carr (steeplechase), Jared Ward (10,000 meters) and Tylor Thatcher (10,000 meters) at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore., on June 5-8.
Visit USFTCCCA.org for complete results.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41