BYU track: Victor Weirich vaults himself to NCAA Championships
AUSTIN, Texas – On the last day of competition at the NCAA West Preliminary, Victor Weirich became the sixth member of the BYU men’s track and field team to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
Weirich tied for first with two others with a height of 17 feet 8.5 inches to easily qualify. The junior from Fredericksburg, Texas, will be returning to the NCAA Outdoor Championships for the first time since 2011 when he finished fourth to earn All-America honors. Weirich has competed in the NCAA Indoor Championships in each of the last three seasons and earned second-team All-America honors twice and first-honors once.
Braydon Bringhurst also competed in the pole vault but finished outside of the top 12 that qualify for nationals as he tied for 17th.
Saturday’s list of competitors also included two Cougars in the javelin, one in the 1,500 meters and three in the 5,000 meters. Keith Keller and Kyle Baker took 16th and 41st, respectively, in the javelin while Marcus Dickson was seventh in his heat in the 1,500 meters.
Weirich will be joined by Ryan Waite (800 meters), Daniel Carney (steeplechase), Curtis Carr (steeplechase), Jared Ward (10,000 meters) and Tylor Thatcher (10,000 meters) at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore., on June 5-8.
Visit USFTCCCA.org for complete results.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 33
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26