BYU track: Cougars conclude competition at NCAA West Preliminary
AUSTIN, Texas – BYU women’s track and field concluded competition at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field West Preliminary on Saturday. Elizabeth Wilson, Candace Eddy Carlisle and Allyson Anderson Wardell competed in their respective events but did not advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championships.
“We had hoped to qualify more but we got the people to nationals that we were counting on in Kelsey (Brown) and Natalie (Stewart),” BYU head coach Patrick Shane said. “We’re thrilled for them and we’re looking forward to going to Eugene and making some noise. We’re proud of all these young women for getting here and for battling and giving it their all.”
Wilson competed in the triple jump and recorded a mark of 38 feet 8.75 inches and finished 42nd overall.
Allyson Anderson Wardell, a second-team All-American in 2012, competed in the javelin. Her best throw measured 139 feet 6 inches and placed her 32nd overall.
Candace Eddy Carlisle qualified for the 1,500 meter semifinal with a third-place finish in her heat Thursday. In Saturday’s semifinal, Eddy Carlisle clocked a time of 4:29.02 and placed 10th in her heat.
BYU will take two competitors to the NCAA Championships from June 5-8 in Eugene, Ore. Natalie Stewart and Kelsey Brown qualified in their events Friday. Stewart will compete in the 400 meters and Brown in the 800 meters.
Visit USFTCCCA.org for complete results.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, email@example.com or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 27
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game... 26