However, in the spirit of “What have you done for me lately?” Vinny was shown the door when the Clippers got eliminated by the Memphis Grizzlies in the opening round of this year’s playoffs.
So, why wouldn’t a team like the Clippers be interested in Sloan?
Sure, Jerry is 71 years old, and no, he didn’t win 11 NBA championships in his coaching career like Jackson did. But the Hall of Fame coach won more than 60 percent of his games and only had one losing record in 23 seasons with the Jazz. He would bring the respect-hungry Clippers’ franchise immediate credibility. In fact, he just might be the right guy to push that team over the top.
Some people might say that Sloan’s too old to coach today’s NBA players, who are accustomed to being coddled and pampered and probably wouldn’t appreciate Sloan’s intense, tough-minded approach to the game.
But the Clippers’ two most marketable superstars right now are point guard Chris Paul and power forward Blake Griffin. And if memory serves, it seems like Sloan’s system worked mighty well for many years using a stellar point guard and a strong power forward as the focal point of its attack — whether it was John Stockton and Karl Malone, or Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer.
Sloan has already talked to the Bucks about their job opening and decided it wasn’t the right fit for him. Williams, now the Nets' point guard and the guy who’s been accused of driving coach Sloan out of Utah, has said he’d love to play for his old coach again.
Any one of those other NBA teams would be lucky to have him, too, if only for a few more years before Sloan decides to hang ’em up for good and spend more time back on the farm.
But seeing him sitting in the seats at EnergySolutions Arena, watching the Jazz play, he seems somewhat out of place. Instead, he belongs on the sidelines, doing what he always did — yelling instructions to his team, barking at officials and winning a bunch of ballgames.
If there’s any NBA team that wouldn’t want that, well, it’s no wonder they're looking for a new coach.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15