'More questions than answers' as charges considered in deaths of West Point children
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
WEST POINT — The Davis County Attorney's Office says it has more questions than answers as they consider possible charges for a 15-year-old boy suspected of killing his two younger brothers earlier this week.
"We grieve for the family involved," read a statement released by the DA's office Friday. "Facts are being gathered to assist with critical decisions Our primary concern is for the family of these children."
A source in the Davis County Sheriff's Office said possible charges could come as early as Tuesday.
The two boys, ages 4 and 10, were found dead in their West Point home after their mother left them in the care of the 15-year-old in order to attend a dance recital. She returned to find the youngest boy dead and the other two missing.
Police arriving on scene, 120 S. 1660 West, found the 10-year-old boy deceased in another room in the house, while the teen was located walking a street in Layton several hours later. He was arrested for investigation of two counts of murder.
The boys had wounds consistent with a stabbing, they said, but a medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Meanwhile, families on the quiet West Point street are grieving with their neighbors, creating a makeshift memorial at their mailbox. Among them was 12-year-old Matt Done, who enjoyed playing football in the front yard with the two boys.
"They got along really well," Paula Done, Matt's mother, said on her son's behalf when he was too sad to talk. The children were playful and full of life, she said.
"We put some flowers and a stuffed animal and a couple balloons to give respect to the family and to the boys and keep them in our memory," Done said.
Contributing: Anne Forester
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 25