High school baseball: Salem Hills Skyhawks capture first baseball title in school history for their coach
Then, after Maple Mountain stole a run back after the ‘Hawks mishandled a would-be double play, Salem Hills added three more runs in the second behind Hill’s dinger. The lead blossomed to 10-1 in the third inning after Lundell, Snyder and Hill accounted for four RBIs.
The top of the order — Lundell, Snyder, Hill and Haney — combined for 11 RBIs while going 10 for 17 at the dish.
“Whoever is going to rake in the championship — let ‘em do it,” said Snyder, who led the state with 12 home runs, of his teammates delivering the long bombs. “A win is a win for me.”
In the fifth inning, it appeared as if the 10-run-mercy rule would come into effect with Salem Hills leading 13-3. But, the Golden Eagles prolonged action on Arik Mack’s sacrifice fly to center.
Maple Mountain retired the side quickly in the sixth inning before pulling within three, 13-10, on RBI singles from Ivan Brooks, Jonah Flinders and Kaden Poulsen along with Salem Hills’ throwing error.
But as coach Haney has explained all year: “They score and we come back and score 90 percent of the time.”
With runners on the corners the ‘Hawks attempted a double steal. The Eagles recognized the scheme and caught Snyder in a pickle between third and home, but as he dove toward the bag, Maple Mountain overthrew the pickoff and Snyder busted home for an insurance run.
“Special things are going to happen and you just saw what happened,” coach Haney said. “I didn’t even know this until the region championship, but their motto has been ‘Get it for him,’ and they got for me.”
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Having achieved its Final Four goal, the BYU...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 49
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 29