High school baseball: Salem Hills Skyhawks capture first baseball title in school history for their coach
Then, after Maple Mountain stole a run back after the ‘Hawks mishandled a would-be double play, Salem Hills added three more runs in the second behind Hill’s dinger. The lead blossomed to 10-1 in the third inning after Lundell, Snyder and Hill accounted for four RBIs.
The top of the order — Lundell, Snyder, Hill and Haney — combined for 11 RBIs while going 10 for 17 at the dish.
“Whoever is going to rake in the championship — let ‘em do it,” said Snyder, who led the state with 12 home runs, of his teammates delivering the long bombs. “A win is a win for me.”
In the fifth inning, it appeared as if the 10-run-mercy rule would come into effect with Salem Hills leading 13-3. But, the Golden Eagles prolonged action on Arik Mack’s sacrifice fly to center.
Maple Mountain retired the side quickly in the sixth inning before pulling within three, 13-10, on RBI singles from Ivan Brooks, Jonah Flinders and Kaden Poulsen along with Salem Hills’ throwing error.
But as coach Haney has explained all year: “They score and we come back and score 90 percent of the time.”
With runners on the corners the ‘Hawks attempted a double steal. The Eagles recognized the scheme and caught Snyder in a pickle between third and home, but as he dove toward the bag, Maple Mountain overthrew the pickoff and Snyder busted home for an insurance run.
“Special things are going to happen and you just saw what happened,” coach Haney said. “I didn’t even know this until the region championship, but their motto has been ‘Get it for him,’ and they got for me.”
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 139
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 99
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 74
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 73
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 65
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29