BYU newscast wins national award from the Society of Professional Journalists
Broadcast journalism students at BYU beat out 56 other schools to win the "Best All-Around Television Newscast" award given at the Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards.
According to a press release posted on BYU's website, the honor was given to Brenna Donnelly, Jen Benson, Ashley Munguia and Jeff Merrill for their story on the FrontRunner South train line, which ran on the Dec. 3, 2012, broadcast of ElevenNEWS, BYU's news channel.
“I felt very responsible for the story,” Donnelly said in the release. “I really made sure I got it right and double checked everything. This was important news for BYU students.”
Donnelly was the reporter, Benson and Munguia anchored the newscast, and Merrill was the student producer.
“The stories the students did showed that they know what's going on in our community well enough to cover it,” said Chad Curtis, manager of BYU's broadcast news. “The launching of FrontRunner service in Provo-Orem means a lot to this community, and Brenna's story shows that."
According to the press release, the judging criteria for the SPJ awards includes "accuracy and completeness; enterprise and ingenuity; and adherence to high journalistic standards."
BYU's daily newscast, which airs Monday through Friday at noon on KBYU, beat out finalists from St. Cloud State University and Pennsylvania State University.
“To be named best in the nation means a lot, for any award,” Merrill said in the press release. “Everyone who goes through that program puts in a lot of hard work. It’s nice to get some recognition for that and to be able to put together a product we all could be proud of.”
- The shift in the way society values kindergarten
- How to keep childcare employees from going...
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Consider this before cosigning your student's...
- Latino youths gain leadership experience at camp
- New rule sparks debate over teacher...
- BYU-Hawaii students are 'entering to learn'...
- Davis School District names interim...
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13
- The shift in the way society values... 2
- Latino youths gain leadership... 2
- BYU-Hawaii students are 'entering to... 2
- How to keep childcare employees from... 1
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's... 1
- Consider this before cosigning your... 0