Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Saturday, June 8, is Free Fishing Day in Utah. Anglers don’t need a fishing license to fish in the state that day.
Drew Cushing, warm water sport fisheries coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, said early June is one of the best times of the year to fish in Utah. Fishing for warm water fish — including bluegill, catfish, white bass and smallmouth and largemouth bass — is just starting to pick up. And trout and other cold water fish are still active and available to catch.
Before Free Fishing Day, the DWR will place extra fish in waters across Utah. Most of the fish will be placed in lakes and reservoirs, which should be good places to fish on the day.
All of the other rules in the state’s fishing guidebook will still be in effect. The free guidebook is available at www.wildlife.utah.gov.
The DWR will hold several events for Free Fishing Day.
• In Logan, at Skylar’s Pond, the Bear River Celebration will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the pond, which is located in Willow Park. The park is at 450 W. 700 South.
•At Utah Lake State Park, the annual Utah Lake Festival will feature fishing activities. The festival is free of charge. The park is at 4400 W. Center in Provo. Volunteers from the Salt Lake County Fish and Game Association will be on hand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help anglers.
• Ephraim's community lake will hold a fishing contest. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the contest starts at 10 a.m. Food and prizes will be available.
• Three events for anglers of all ages will be held in northeastern Utah: Pelican Lake in Uintah County, 9 a.m. to noon; Moose Ponds in Daggett County, 9 a.m. to noon; and Lower Stillwater Ponds on Rock Creek in Duchesne County, 9 a.m. to noon.
• An event will take place at the Carbon County Fairgrounds Pond from 8-11 a.m., 120 E. Main St., Price.
• Leigh Hill Reservoir in Cedar City, one of Utah’s community fisheries, will hold an event from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To reach the reservoir, follow Cedar City’s Royal Hunt Drive to the top of Leigh Hill.
• There will also be an event at Grandpa’s Pond in Hurricane, a community fishery, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To reach the pond, follow State Street in Hurricane to the west of town, and then turn north on 3700 West. Continue north on 3700 West until the pavement ends.
For more information about event activities and equipment availability, contact a local DWR office.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 31
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 21
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14