Hundreds of police officers attend kindergarten graduation for fallen colleague's daughter
Phoenix Police Department
Members of the Phoenix Police Department supported a fallen officer’s family as they attended his daughter Tatum’s kindergarten graduation May 22.
Officer Daryl Raetz died three days before the event after he was struck by a car. The vehicle hit Raetz when he had pulled over a different car during a DUI traffic stop.
Originally, only Raetz’s squad and precinct planned to attend 5-year-old Tatum’s kindergarten graduation from Ridgeline Academy, but as more people within the department heard about it, more wanted to come.
“There was absolutely no way that you could keep officers who could be here away,” said a post on the Phoenix Police Department's Facebook page. “They came, even with their families.”
Hundreds of members of the police department attended the ceremony, making three standing lines at the back of the gym. During the ceremony, principal Keven Barker offered a moment of silence in behalf of officer Raetz.
As Tatum Raetz walked across the stage when her name was called, she received a standing ovation from the audience.
“This is wonderful, it’s uplifting, it’s just the most important thing we can do,” said Phoenix officer Sara Garza. “We honor his memory, but we celebrate and we’re there with his family.”
The sense of devotion and care the Phoenix Police Department lent to Raetz’s family runs deep.
“He’s left a precious child and a wife behind, and it’s our responsibility to make sure they are taken care of for the rest of their lives,” said Phoenix Sgt. Ben Kartchner.
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- 25 things you need to know about Disneyland's...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- The Clean Cut: Navy commander thanks his...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 126
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 13
- Nothing else they would rather do:... 13
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 8
- Arianne Brown: Pretty girls can too... 5
- Census Bureau will keep marriage... 4
- Does birth order really confer traits? 3
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 3